Newbie advice round colchester

Anything East Coast Sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

Gord

Newbie advice round colchester

Post by Gord »

Hello all - first post to introduce meself and ask the benefit of your joint experience. Pretty new to fishing and not had a great deal of luck from Brightlingsea and East / West Mersea near me. Tried all baits on pulley / flappers and still nothing!

Is it me or are these really such bad marks? Any pointers appreciated - a full year without a catch starts to get you down!

jacko69
Tackle Forums Mod
Tackle Forums Mod

Post by jacko69 »

welcome to the forum gord, if you look around the forum you will see that not a lot of fish are being caught any where so all i can say is keep trying m8 and have fun

Dave

westy
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by westy »

hi mate well the river colne and blackwater are full of sparts at moment

kopitecol
Thames Estuary Moderator
Thames Estuary Moderator

Post by kopitecol »

welcome aboard >:D<

macer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by macer »

Welcome to the site :D

Gord

Post by Gord »

well thanks for the encouragement!
another fruitless day today although it was good to get out anyway .

Happy new year to all

edwards73
Advanced User
Advanced User

east coast

Post by edwards73 »

hi there , iv fished off mersea brightlingsea and surounding areas for a number of yrs now and iv mainly only used mersea for my bait but have had a few goes from mersea stone in the winter had had a numder of sizeable fish ive also fished the front at mersea buit is best when there spring tides due to the flatness of the ground but havin known ya need to cast a fair way to get into the fish but it is possabale as i manly use pully rigs but 1 noticeable thing about mersea is the strength of the running tide so is best try uptiding due to the strength of it but as im from the local area i would gladly meet up when your fishing and see if i can help you get tight lines happy hunting fella

maz

Post by maz »

Hi mate, it depends what youre after. The point in east mersea is a good spot but the running tide is so strong you may have trouble holding bottom. Also bear in mind that the water gets deep very quickly between there and brightlingsea.
For night winter trips head to Holland on sea near Clacton where there are loads of whiting and some cod.
I enjoy fishing the estuary at places like Fingeringhoe,Rowhedge and Arlesford where you can pick up loads of school bass and the odd flattie.
Good luck!

kopitecol
Thames Estuary Moderator
Thames Estuary Moderator

Post by kopitecol »

few posts in the archives about st oysth as well which had some decent reports (i think) in the summer :D

Gord

Post by Gord »

Edwards - thanks thats real kind i will definitly give you a shout , like i said i am a self taught beginner so any face to face guidance would be excellent

Maz, i had noticed that about the point at East Mersea - definitly a problem holding bottom but i passed by on a boat last summer and the old fish finder went crazy so i thought that i could definitly cast into it on a highish tide but still no luck!

MAz, I live in the 'Hoe but never thought of fishing the estuary there - where do you get down to it?! Its all military land i thought. And as for getting to Holland on Sea - well i assume you are talking boats there? Until i find an old (cheap ) outboard for my battered old wreck that ain't happening.

But thanks everyone for the help - got a feeling the forum might actually be helpful! :)

mudlark

Re: Newbie advice round colchester

Post by mudlark »

Gord wrote:Hello all - first post to introduce meself and ask the benefit of your joint experience. Pretty new to fishing and not had a great deal of luck from Brightlingsea and East / West Mersea near me. Tried all baits on pulley / flappers and still nothing!

Is it me or are these really such bad marks? Any pointers appreciated - a full year without a catch starts to get you down!
The Colne has always been a very seasonal mark and you are best to target particular fish at particular times - right now should have seen the flattie season in full swing but they weren't there over xmas and todays snow will have probably killed any hope - it generally sends them out to spawn.

Codling are unreliable in the river, better to try Clacton or St Osyth. Should be spawned flatties back in april (though they aren't much fun to catch), then late april early may for Bass, right through to October if its mild. If we get light northerly winds as we often do in mid to late summer the water generally clears in the river and its well worth spinning for them.

September time you get a mixed bag - the occasional decent bass on the big night tides and the whiting begin to show. Mid october generally sees the whiting fishing peak with some really good catches if the weather is calm enough for them to shoal up tight.

Thirty years ago the Colne was full of eels and flounders but both species seem to have really suffered over the last decade particularly - I can bass fish all summer and only manage 2 or 3 eels, I used to get more than that in a session. If your brave the river is still full of Mullet (thick lipped) and there are about 3 or 4 resident shoals that seem to inhabit the harbour / promenade end of B/sea regularly during the warmer months however they are very wild and by no means easy to catch.

For baits ... Lug or lug / squid will get the codling when they show, maddies for the winter flounders, peeler for summer flounder, eels and bass, note though that peeler generally catches the small bass here and is much less effective than big ragworm baits for the species. Mackerel strip for the whiting.

slashley
Regular
Regular

Post by slashley »

Wecome to the site :) You could do worse than trying Holland On Sea-especially at night or daytime if it is rough and the water is coloured. :)

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster »

Hi mate welcome to the site. May your line always be taught and your rod bent.........Colin

westy
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by westy »

if u want cheap outboards fone this number 01371850657. tony the bightlingsea hard master told me to ring him when my engine was playing up.

edwards73
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by edwards73 »

gord im off fishing friday night from clacton beach so you'll be more then welcome to come join us shall be digging bait friday afternoon at about 2ish from mersea and hopefully finally find your pray you can contact me through email or phone my name is simon and shall be going with my nephew who's a novice but i help out a lot and a young cousin of mine as were all friendly and wont bite just hope the fish do lol
simon_edwards73@hotmail.com