No Mackerel About But.....

Anything East Coast Sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

malaki

No Mackerel About But.....

Post by malaki »

Evening Feathering Friends,

I went to Weybourne early Sat morning after Mackerel but nothing came to feathers until just after high tide when I caught 2 sandeels on 4 up Silver.

Was then deciding to pack up after umpteen casts when I felt a massive pull in the surf just as I was about to swing the feathers in about 7 yards out.

It felt like a Grey Seal at first but after a short but hard tussle I hauled in a 4lb 8 oz (60cm) Bass !!!

:D :D :D

Is this unusual on feathers or has anyone either been as lucky as I was or heard similar stories????

This really is a TRUE fishermans tale! :)

shannock
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by shannock »

you lucky so and so

well done i lost a good bass about that size last week feathering but had a dexter wedge on the end

thats a beauty keep it up

and welcome

cheers steve

shannock
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by shannock »

20yrs ago i used to go out in a boat crabbing with my father in law
one evenng we went out handlining for mackeral with feathers

in the distance at the end of the sewer pipe at sheringham there was a lot of gulls diving and a big shoal of whitebait jumping on the surface so we steaed towards them cut the engine and driffted through them

straight away i had the biggestbitei had everhad as i was lifting the feathers up and down , it nearly pulled my arm out of its socket it was that hard =(( =(( =((

i lost the fish :(( :(( :(( :((
it then did it another 3 times then final time it was only under the surfce so luckily i pulled it into the boat :D :D :D :D
yes it wasn't a shoal of mackeral but a shoal of bass , the fish was under 4lb just
but when i looked at the other hooks they were straightened ,i changed over to codfeathers but no more fish :(( :(( :(( :((

i guess if the bass are in a feeding frenzy they wil take feathers as they look like their prey

you were lucky that it didnt straighten the hook but if you see some bass close in please put on stronger hooks on the feathers iwouldnt want you to remember loosing that many bass in one go
well done i'm so jealous

cheers mate
keep fluff chucking
steve >:D< >:D<

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Welcome to the forum mate. Glad someone is having some luck. The fishing has been so poor just lately and the weather dont help. Looks like we have more bad weather to come. Problem is there is only so much preperation for a trip that you can do, after that all you can do is to sit and twiddle your thumbs. :(( :(( :((

Harwoody
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Harwoody »

Congrats! Never caught a bass myself nor sandeels (shows how good i am lol) But Newhaven Brought in a 12lb bass on mackeral feathers, A mackerel had got hooked and the bass ate the mackerel so im not sure if that counts but was fun to watch him bring it in.

night-fisher
Occasional
Occasional

Post by night-fisher »

Hi malaki

Welcome to the forum mate.

Congrats on the Bass that must have got the old adrenalin pumping when that hit.

Tight lines

malaki

Post by malaki »

:D :D :D Thanks for the positive vibes from all who've replied....to be honest I still haven't stopped smiling since last Sat ! I keep looking at the picture on my mobile phone.....(I know it sounds sad but I really do have a life ha ha)... I can't wait to go again once the tide & weather is right !

:) :) :)

night-fisher
Occasional
Occasional

Post by night-fisher »

It's not sad mate, we are all the same with our long lasting big grins after we catch a decent fish and then go home a spend hours looking at the photos of it :D :D :D

Or may be it's just us two but i dont think so

Tight lines

malaki

Post by malaki »

Glad you can relate to that mate....when I told friends about it they thought I'd caught a can of fizzy drink!!!!!..... :D :D :D The bug's either in you or it ain't.. :)

night-fisher
Occasional
Occasional

Post by night-fisher »

I can't wait to go again once the tide & weather is right
soon you wont even worry about what the weathers like you'll just want to get out there and fish. The more i go the more i cant wait till the next session and the days i dont go are real downers.

Take a digi camera if you have one so you can post some pics, we all like pics :D