Spinning Mackerel strips?

Please post all your Tips and tricks here.
Nem
Occasional
Occasional

Spinning Mackerel strips?

Post by Nem »

crazy-dude
Regular
Regular

Post by crazy-dude »

anything is worth a try. the skin is an attractant as is the flesh, but the flesh will soon get washed out and the skin will start to break down with constant casting and retrieval. You can bulk buy rubber eels which would bring the price down.

dunnforfun

Post by dunnforfun »

Look for deals in tsf/ sea angler or online tackle shops or even ebay i have had some great summer light spinning trips using small black eels fire tail jelly worms and small holographic weighted shads dont be put off by your local tackle shops prices there some great deals out there

Nem
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Nem »

Thanks for the quick replies. Was just wondering this as I've been catching decent sized Pollack using very small Mackerel strips (perhaps an inch at most) while bottom fishing. Was hoping to get a nice big one :D

Reels_on_wheels

Post by Reels_on_wheels »

Hi folks

I usually use rag worm but I decided last week to try Mackerel, and it was reasonably successful, we caught a couple of small Pollack and a good sized Cod, about two and a half pound. My son and I were fishing right in at the side using rotten bottom rigs as snags are very common here. There was a couple next to us using rag worm, Mackerel, sand eels and they never got as much as a bite.
We had bought a pack of three joey mackerel from our local fishing shop, took two fillets from it and cut it into strips. We only used one fish last week and kept the other two in the freezer. We were using the other two today with very little success but I felt as though the flesh was rotten. When I took the fillets off, and cut it into small slices it was falling apart. We were putting a couple of bits on our hooks and securing it with elastic but there was flesh everywhere.
Am I doing something wrong? We were only using rotten bottom rigs again but it seemed the flesh on the fish was falling apart. I did defrost them fully before using them.
I just wondered if they would be suitable for repeat casting as someone mentioned. Any help appreciated as I am relatively new to this.
I bought a packet of 'Power Bait' black worms with red fire tails, tried them a few times and not even a hint of a bite. I personally don't like them but maybe I am doing something wrong.

Cheers

Reels

Nem
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Nem »

Reels_on_wheels wrote:Hi folks

I usually use rag worm but I decided last week to try Mackerel, and it was reasonably successful, we caught a couple of small Pollack and a good sized Cod, about two and a half pound. My son and I were fishing right in at the side using rotten bottom rigs as snags are very common here. There was a couple next to us using rag worm, Mackerel, sand eels and they never got as much as a bite.
We had bought a pack of three joey mackerel from our local fishing shop, took two fillets from it and cut it into strips. We only used one fish last week and kept the other two in the freezer. We were using the other two today with very little success but I felt as though the flesh was rotten. When I took the fillets off, and cut it into small slices it was falling apart. We were putting a couple of bits on our hooks and securing it with elastic but there was flesh everywhere.
Am I doing something wrong? We were only using rotten bottom rigs again but it seemed the flesh on the fish was falling apart. I did defrost them fully before using them.
I just wondered if they would be suitable for repeat casting as someone mentioned. Any help appreciated as I am relatively new to this.
I bought a packet of 'Power Bait' black worms with red fire tails, tried them a few times and not even a hint of a bite. I personally don't like them but maybe I am doing something wrong.

Cheers

Reels
Ello again Reels, nice to hear you had a good catch! Blanks for me recently :D

As for Mackerel, the same happens with me. You fillet it, put it on the hook then use bait elastic and it looks like a silver strip with mashed potatoes beneath it. I really don't think this matters too much as I doubt fish are picky ;)

To reduce the flesh looking like mush what I find a good idea is to use the end of the fillet nearer the tail. I cut off a piece about 2 inches in width and 1 inch high, what I'm usually left with is a half that only has fat, while the other half has a thin layer of flesh. This way you can use your bait elastic without the flesh trying to spread itself out as there isn't much there and the fat is tougher, firmer hook placement.

MATT-TROWER

SOGGY MACKEREL

Post by MATT-TROWER »

Reels_on_wheels wrote:Hi folks

Cheers

Reels
HI THERE REELS,
I'VE ONLY JUST BROWSED YOUR TOPIC. MACKEREL IS A GREAT TOUGH BAIT BUT IF YOU RE-FREEZE IT AFTER THAWING IT OUT IT GOES TO MUSH. THATS THE PROBLEM I THINK. FRESH IS FINE AND SO IS THE BLAST FROZEN 'AMMO' STYLE PACKED MACKEREL,JUST BUY WHAT YOU NEED FOR THE SESSION. SPINNING SANDEELS IS EXCELLENT FOR POLLOCK. MORE AFFECTIVE THAN MACKEREL STRIPS I RECKON. THREAD THEM THROUGH THE MOUTH AND OUT OF THE BELLY OR BACK AND THEN TIE ON WITH BAIT ELASTIC-JOB DONE! ALL THE BEST MATE.

jimjam
Regular
Regular

Post by jimjam »

if you want rubber eels get on ebay theye are alot cheaper to buy bulk :D