Sort of Newbie help (Shockleader)

Please post all your Tips and tricks here.
Torsk
Occasional
Occasional

Sort of Newbie help (Shockleader)

Post by Torsk »

Hi,I am wonder is there a typical amount of shockleader to use with yr main line or is it up to the individual ?Would like peoples ideas on this so I know I have enough on my reel.Thanks guys .... :)

Bread

Post by Bread »

see the sticky at the top of the East Coast Forum.

Dolph

Post by Dolph »

Up to the individual to an extent really but I always measure 6 metres of line and then add 10 turns of my reel to it, it's a bit more than what Ive seen most use but I like a bit more as then it lasts longer before you re-apply the shockleader, main reason for this I suppose is laziness but I like to think of it as effciency.

dungyjim

Post by dungyjim »

I always have between 6-8 turns on the reel, however you can have to much leader on the reel which makes it snake through the eyes, which in turn can get caught and then crack, you see your tackle flying out to sea about 500 yards unfortunately with no line attatched.

Nem
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Nem »

Would you say Shock Leader is necessary if you're fishing alone or use over-head casts?
I managed to get some for free and right now, I'm just using it to make rigs with :P

Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

Bread

Post by Bread »

It's not just a safety thing -

1. If you have a 6lb fish to haul up a pier - I reckon you've got a much better chance of landing it using the leader line.

2. Sandy beaches will cause 15lb mainline snap quickly due to the abrasion of the line near the end gear. A shockleader provides a bit more resilience.

3. You get more confidence in your tackle with casting and as a result concentrate more on your casting than you do of losing your gear.

Torsk
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Torsk »

Thanks guys been a great help .Can now sort my reel out with it and give it a try next outing .Thanks again

kieran
Regular
Regular

Post by kieran »

i have mine the length of my rod and a half!

Reels_on_wheels

Post by Reels_on_wheels »

Hi folks

I have read all the posts regarding shockleader but I am still puzzled by which knot to use. I thought the 'albright' knot would be sufficient but the other posts in East Coast Forum. Can someone advice me on a suitable knot to use when attaching my shockleader to the main line.

This has probably been covered numerous times but being a newbie I am a bit slow.

Keep it simple please as I am finding it hard to follow the knots. I have looked at 'Grog's Fishing Knots' and found it very useful but would still like to know what other people think.

Thanks

Dougy

Torsk
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Torsk »

Hi reels ,after reading the comments when I attached mine I used this one http://neilmackellow.sea-angler.org/knot5.html
All seems fine too spose its down to what u feel best one to use !!

Reels_on_wheels

Many thanks Torsk, this looks simple enough for me to get my head around. I will attach my shockleader tonight.
All the best
Dougy

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

A lot of folk now rate the Allbright knot - I have had it on one of my reels for the last 4 months without changing mainline or shockleader and it hasn't let me down yet. Also it is a very compact and "streamlined" knot which goes up through the rings easily.

Eclectic

Post by Eclectic »

I use the Albright aswell. It stood the test. I had a heft Saturday night. The 20lb mainline snapped before the knot did. My brother reeled in my gear later on haha. With quite a bit of my mainline still attached.

Now my question is. Why the hell was he able to just real it when no matter how much walking along the beach trying to free it would get it to move a millimeter grrer X(

Reels_on_wheels

Shockleader knot

Hi folks
I just thought I would let other people know how I got in with my query regarding which knot to attach the shockleader with. I asked the question about which knot to use and I got a couple of replies.
Eventually I went with the 'albright' knot. Today I was fishing and had cast out but as I ended up getting snagged. I wheeled back and forth to try and release it with no joy. My biggest fear is that the line releases and I shoot over the back of the wheelchair. It sounds funny and it is but it sometimes hurts. Anyway, this snag was doing my head in and with my reel loaded with 25lb Okuma Ultramax attached to a 50lb shockleader with the 'albright' knot I pulled and pulled and managed to get it free and pull in a 6lb sinker with link attached to it. It just goes to show that the 'albright' knot is strong enough to handle a right good pull.
I would appreciate any thoughts on the strength of line I am using. I am using it because I am fishing from a quay and there is the possibility of dogfish and conger.
Do you think the main line is too heavy? I am casting a 4oz lead, sometimes 5oz depending on weather and current.
Any thought appreciated as I am relatively new coming back to the sport.
Thanks
Reels