how to hook king rag

Please post all your Tips and tricks here.
sacha
Occasional
Occasional

how to hook king rag

Post by sacha »

i have found the best way to hook king rag is to, cut of their heads to stop them biting you because with some of the fat rag when they bite it hurts alot and the sometimes draw blood,so after you have cut their head off get a lighter and burn the end where the head used to be as it stops all of the guts coming out when you cast, and the scent of the guts disperses, slowly, and makes it last longer so you dont have to re-bait as much, therefore saving you bait.

when you come to put it on the hook slide the bit where the head was up the hook untill you get to the eye, you should leave the bit with the point and barb and with a a bit of the tail just put the pointy bit of the barb just under the skin of the tail bit . so the whole worm is on the hook and only a little bit is flapping around.

hoped this helped :!:

:D :D :D :D

jimjam
Regular
Regular

Post by jimjam »

thanks mate im not the biggest fan of rag theye scare me a little bit ;)

thebigbassman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by thebigbassman »

i leave the heads on if you grab them just under the head and hold them firm they can't get to you

shorty

Post by shorty »

or you could use a baiting needle no bites cleaner hands and the blood/guts leak out slowly :D

limpetboy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by limpetboy »

Bang them on the ground,grab em firmly just under the head & when they open there mouth thread em on (:|

thebigbassman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by thebigbassman »

shorty wrote:or you could use a baiting needle no bites cleaner hands and the blood/guts leak out slowly :D
YOU BIG GIRLS BLOUSE

shorty

Post by shorty »

thats harsh as im a shorty not 6ft plus like you so who is the big girls blouse ???? >:)

wotnofish
Regular
Regular

Post by wotnofish »

Can't believe all this "chop the heads off" stuff. They only give a little nip.

Hold them behind the head (they might wink at you if you're lucky), present the hook point to their vicious jaws, and they'll open their mouths so you can slide them on.

sp3ctrum
Occasional
Occasional

Post by sp3ctrum »

i dont care if they bite i dont feel it anyway i just thread them on the hook all the way to the eye of the hook after i chopped my finger and thumb end off i dont feel a thing anymore

shannock
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by shannock »

tickle them under the chin and when they start laughing ram the hook down their gobs :D :D :D :D

GaryBadd

Post by GaryBadd »

umm bit confused why chopped the head off, if you don't like handling them don't use them but best way without cutting there heads of is like most people said with your thumb and finger squeeze the neck head first onto the hook and thread on once you reach the eye on the hook pull the head over the eye and push the body up and keep doing it and you end up with the whole rag on and tiny bit of a tail flapping around as for use of lighter well only to spark up a cig but each to their own .
Gary

thebiga

Post by thebiga »

when your disabled and have no feeling in three fingers on each hand
you cant feel when they nip you but it makes it hard to put them on the hook so i go for the easy option the baiting needle any way the sill have
ago when your trying to thread them on the needle

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Post by essexkenny »

Baiting needle, I agree, makes life much easier than trying to get a hook though a wriggling worm. Put One or two Lug worm on a needle, then a ragworm. Them i can reel in, rebait my hooks with whats on my needle and then a small slither of squid and recast in about half the time it takes threadling worms on by hand. Especially when there are a few fishes around!!

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

I have never caught much on the big `snakes' whole, headless or in pieces.
King rag are meant to be good head hooked and freelined for bass or pollock but i can`t think of a single time they`ve produced much boat or beach. Do others find that small to medium rag are much better fish producers or is it just me ?

AH
Regular
Regular

Post by AH »

King Rag will pierce your skin if you let them nip you. Basically just be aware that they have a nasty nip and hold them behind the head when handling them.