ILLUMINATED ROD TIPS

Please post all your Tips and tricks here.
MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

ILLUMINATED ROD TIPS

Post by MadKev »

Right, this'll be interesting, especially if it works. If you can get commercial advantage out of it, so be it but contributors will need (at least) an acknowledgement.

This is more of a running question, bugged me for years, need help from rod-customisers and fibre-optic folk.

Some of my rods have a solid glass 18" tip. How do I get a light source inside the rod so that a clear tip completely lights up? How should I power it?

On a two piece rod, I reckon a single AAA battery just inside the bottom of the top piece would be Ok, wouldn't disturb the balance much and could experiment with balance weights in the handle. Can I get away with a single LED rammed up to the tip section? Will that be enough light to illuminate the tip section?

If the tip was made from fibre-optic strands, then tapered by hand, does the light need to be collimated into the tubes?

Or am I just thinking too much? MK

sarason

Post by sarason »

Be easier to just buy a light tip mate! :lol:
Wouldnt be worth the bother me thinks.

Magictoys
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Magictoys »

Would imagine that fibre optic strands would be a no, as the tip is going to be flexing alot. This would snap the strands, also the light of a fibre optic strand is only visible at the end on the cut cross section.

A high intensity LED with a reflector shield would be your best chance i imagine? pushed far up the tip and glued in the, life of LED's whould out last the rod so no problem about changing them. There would also be batteries smaller than the AAA which would power it. And would also require a resistor to be installed some where.
I would try shining a powerfull torch up the tip first just to check if the tip is clear all the way though and not blanked off where it is spliced with the rest of the tip section.

Would be very interested to see how you get on with this

Sweedishtaff

Post by Sweedishtaff »

A LED is the better way to go, I would place the LED into the rod, connect it to the battery just to make sure it worked then pour a little PVA into the blank to secure it in place. The only question is when it comes to replacing the LED? I thought that they last for years, much longer than the rod? I do not know for sure.

Just a quick question for you!

I use a LED light that is whipped onto the end, and that can be removed leaving the fitting attached to the rod tip, So you can remove the battery easily! Check this out: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-Battery-Tip-Lig ... dZViewItem

This is what I use. If you do go down this road make sure that the light is facing the right way before you cast, as I have lost countless light tips until I realized that I had whipped it on the wrong way round! (During casting, It was quite funny seeing this red lights floating around on the sea in front of me for hours! Just couldn't reach them!) :lol: :roll:

Take care

Sweed

Bread

Post by Bread »

You can use fibre optic, but you would need to use plastic as opposed to glass, as the glass FO don't like being bent. The main problem to me is twofold.

1. Rust - batteries and battery terminals do not like sea water, so they would have to be air tight.

2. Getting the FO light to be visible through the rod tip. This would mean holes in the tip to poke the FO through.

You could also shine a light from the floor up to the rod tip. That would probably work just aswell.

:?: :?

Magictoys
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Magictoys »

The life of an LED is around 10'000 hours thats around 1200 8 hour sessions...

As for the led tip lights used to use these but moved back to starlights, found the LED tip light to be a bit bulky and un reliable taking it out my box and hoping that its going to work...

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

illuminated tips

Post by MadKev »

Interesting. I've done most of the suggestions:

* making up a NiMH battery pack with a headlamp on a baby tripod and shining it up (bulky and heavy);

*glowsticks taped on (odd tangle)

* aiming a 1.5 watt LED up the bore of a fibre-glass rod tip (nice cool light all along but excessive power demand;

* whipping on tip-light holders (one cast per night gets tangled, innards rust);

* and some others - glueing super-reflective bead into tip ring mount (still needs light shone on it); retro-reflective tip tape (best option with headlamp at present); them damn bells; area light on roof of beach buddy (power demand excessive).

Thanks for the info so far, saves money on futile experiment.

Sweed, I smile.

The world is changing, battery development and power management are going through the roof due to mobile phone technology. Who would have thought of a 5 watt LED five years ago when petrol lamps were in their prime? I would comfortably pay a £50 premium on a £150 rod for a self-illuminated tip if it worked. What works? More thoughts, gentlemen, if you please?

concrete

Post by concrete »

What's the point of illuminating your rod tip all of the time. If you are wearing a headlamp and have reflective tape on your rod tip it will shine every time you look at it. Unless you have eyes in the back of your head I can't see the point of keeping it lit. And if you do have eyes in the back of your head, then buy another lamp and wear it back to front :lol: :lol:

Bread

Post by Bread »

If you really must keep your rod lit, then the way to go would be to project light from the rod rest.

This would be a damn site easier than fiber optics within the rod.

Have an array of led's pointin up and at an outward angle and hey presto - everything is always lit, without having to DIY the rod tips.

I would encourage a retro fit arrangement so that the batteries and battery packs can be kept insulated away from the rest of the gear.

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 »

I wish I could remember which website it was on, but someone has manufactured a rod with a fibreoptic tip. The battery pack is in the end of the tip section and the top six inches glows when switched on. Remarkably, there was not one word on how good this tip was on bite detection!

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

illuminated rod tips

Post by MadKev »

Had a bash with tripod mounted lights, found them difficult because the rod curve down ward. Tried also a three foot alu pole held at stand off position to light up the side of the rod as I look at it.

Still, my quest continues ............... the ultimate night beach caster. To dream, the impossible dream, la, la, la la.

Thus far, the evidence lies with headlights- yes, if I'm not looking at it, it don't matter. What sound does a tree falling in the woods make if I do not hear it? Then, that bit about butterflies which threw me entirely. But, we are the folk of invention, we make things happen rather than wait for them to happen to us.

More thoughts, if you please ..... MK

Magictoys
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Magictoys »

How about glow in the dark paint industrial strength just charge it up and will glow fow a few hours... used to have it at my old work painted on the floors for emergency escape routes.

Or to take it to the extreme....
:lol:
Night vision goggles.
Dip the tip in some radio active stuff, widely available in the middle east, just ask for a bloke called Osama!

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 »

If you want to go for the chemical option, try Tritium. Its a non-radioactive chemical that does not need to be recharged by daylight. The special forces use it on gunsights. My watch has tritium vials round the numbers and its excellent. It has a ten year lifespan and you can buy tritium filled tip lights for about a tenner.

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

illuminated rod tips

Post by MadKev »

Should have thought of tritium, used to have a compass with a circle of it in.

My main issue with anything whipped/glued onto the outside of the rod is that one tangle per night is par for the course, and a smashed cast if you don't notice it. Tiplights leave me with dancing lights in my head after I get home, I'm forever trying to dim them a bit with marker pen. I'm really after a nice glow along the last 18 inches of tip, enough that I won't need a headlamp from, say fifteen paces. That way, I;m not forever trying to hold my head in a 'just so' position to light it up.

It's good of you all to share my obsessions with your useful ideas, you'd not believe how far I've got without success. e.g. new fibre optics that glow brighter the more or less they are bent (used in alarm systems and the like). I've even got access to night-vision goggles, and infra-red cyalume sticks, but they would take me back to the 'headlamp pointed at the rod tip' start position all over again.

Is there any more? MK

trueuk1

Post by trueuk1 »

try machine mart, they sell stanley lamps on a small tripod, place under rod rest and point up, they are not that heavt/bulky use 1 at work
just another idea