REMOVING HOOKS

Please post all your Tips and tricks here.
essexman
Regular
Regular

REMOVING HOOKS

Post by essexman »

The best tool for all hook removal in smaller species is a pair of quality long nosed pliers. Use these every time, because they're far quicker than your fingers for anything other than a light lip hook hold. For tope, shark, rays etc, a long handled pair of normal pliers are good and keep the hands away from any teeth.

The best place to grip a hook is not on the shank, but in the middle of the bend where gentle, but persistent pressure away from the hook hold will lift the hook point free. Twisting the hook does no good at all. If a fish has pulled the hook point fully through the lip, then it's quicker to snip the hook trace off above the hook, and pull the hook through point first followed by the shank.

If a flatfish has got a hook down deep, then it's best to cut the hook off at the knot and free the fish with the hook still in. Consider that flatfish, in fact all fish, will eat broken mussel and razorfish shells and hard backed crab with ease, and you realise just how insignificant a hook is to a fish. Evidence suggests that fish can shed a hook within hours anyway, providing it is a bronze pattern and will corrode. Coated or commercially plated pattern hooks and stainless steel hooks should never be used.

trueuk1

Post by trueuk1 »

i'll second thAt tip, alot of the fish i catch swollow the hook and i find it much easier just to cut the hook off at the knot and return it, if you just RIVE the hook out it will kill the fish, not so bad if it's a biggun, but no good if only small fish will never get the chance to get big and be caught again and give plesure to another angler

RaytheRay

Post by RaytheRay »

Hi

Using twizzle stick (I think that's what they are called) for flatfish can be very effective way of extracting hooks certainly a lot of charter skippers use them off Weymouth for plaice, don't know where you can buy one though

Ray

Magictoys
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Magictoys »

twizzle stick?

When flat fish take a hook deep i find that a disgorger is very effective when using smaller size hooks with a short shank.

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

swizzle stick

Post by MadKev »

Swizzle, or Twizzle sticks:

You can't buy these, but you can buy a wooden drumstick and a pair of cymbals from a music shop, cut off the stick tip and round the end with sandpaper. The taper of the stick is important.

Pt.I: With a deep-hooked flattie, hold the snood so the fish hangs on its own weight. Insert the tapered end of the stick as far as it will go into the gullet, then grip the snood and stick in the same hand. Gently swirl the stick in a circular motion, the fish begins to spin on it and the snood winds itself around the stick. Keep going, it'll put such tension on the hook that the hook will 'pop' free and the fish falls off, dizzy but free to fight again. Get it dead right, the hook will even nick into the end of the stick to be easily withdrawn without snagging again.

Pt.II: Use the cymbals to draw your mate's attention to your catch.

(If I see someone actually do Pt.II, I will cry with laughter and buy them a drink). MK

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 »

Right, anyone know a music shop thats open at 11 at night?!! :lol: :lol:

concrete

Post by concrete »

Come on MadKev, let us know. Which institution are you in and how did you get out of the straight jacket to access a computer? :lol: :lol:

Perhaps you're doing it with your nose. :lol: :lol:

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 »

Thought the room three doors down looked a bit empty! :lol: :lol:

concrete

Post by concrete »

No I'm just hiding behind the door :lol: :lol:

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 »

Go to bed Mr C, you are obviously overtired! :lol: :lol:

JerryLBarnette

Post by JerryLBarnette »