More Hips and Tints

Please post all your Tips and tricks here.
MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

More Hips and Tints

Post by MadKev »

Tell you what, let’s have Line next. Not much to say really, line’s line innit? Don’t forget, some of this is aimed at newcomers.

· In days of yore, line was all horse tail-hairs knotted together. They graded the diameters, so it tapered to the hook. Nothing’s new, really.
· Molten nylon monofilament line is extruded through different diameter holes to get the various breaking strains. What can be so different from one monofil to another that you can get different diameters for the same breaking strain? Is the composition really that different? I have used Varivas, rated at 15lb but the dia of 12lb, for a few years now, no problems but deep, underlying suspicions in the dark corners of my mind.
· On that point, the International Game Fishing Association (IGFA) rate the size of fish against the breaking strain of line used. IGFA-rated line is always fatter than non-IGFA. This adds to my paranoia – am I being hooked by advertisers?
· If you use a narrower diameter line, you can get away with a smaller lead for any given situation. This is because the diameter of the line presents a smaller surface area to the wind and tide.
· Your line does not need to exceed the weight of your fish – the fish has no weight whilst suspended in water, fish strength is the issue until you get it to the surface.
· Taken to the extreme, how many competitors at the World Beach championships at Weymouth were using a leader that tapered from 70lb – 18lb, tied to 15lb mainline, then to 12lb, then to 8lb, on fixed spool reels?
· Each knot in the above layout had to lose a percentage of line strength, this is inevitable. Assuming the best knot runs at 80% of line strength, that last knot must have only been 6.4lb breaking strain. I’m not even sure we can get 80% in practice. To go this route evidently needs the highest order of experience and judgement. Not for me, then.
· So when I’m fishing my 15lb main line, that knot’s only going to be about 12lb strength at most.
· The issue of using the narrowest diameter monofil is compounded by the ground you are fishing over. The same-sized ‘nick’ in a broader line will get your fish back in, but the narrower could be “Goodnight Vienna”, which is an odd name for a fish.
· I’ve mentioned this elsewhere – we do everything we can to make our lines invisible, then add glo-beads, dayglo hooks and so on. Are we really doing the right thing with line? Still experimenting on this one myself.
· Take ten yards of monofil, tie it off on something like the clothes-post at home. Give it a sharp, six-foot jerk. Don’t half stretch, dunnit? Translate this to a 100-yard cast. Is there any value in striking a bite at that distance? Will lifting the rod really gather enough line to have an effect? Might as well just wind into it properly then.
· This is not the place to mention knots, they don’t translate well into text. To start with, learn just two – line to line, and line to a metal eye. Play with them for a while, you’ll only end up confused and tying bad knots on the beach if you overwhelm yourself with too much information.
· Guys in fly-fishing comps use a very simple knot they can undo to change flies quickly. They also hook very powerful fish with confidence, perhaps I go too far with my hook-tying? Take one of these guys to the beach, they bring just a couple of ready-tied flappers then swiftly pop on the hooks of choice. Clever buggers.
· On the rocks. Tie a lead onto your 80lb leader, lower it to the water surface, add the length of your rod plus six turns of the spool. That’s the minimum length of leader for that venue. 80lb is a bit heavy, you don’t want more than you need out there, but it’s also a convenient diameter for hand-wrangling your heavier fish up from the water. Gloves help. Don’t know of a reel that’ll crank any fish over 10lb weight in a dead lift. Try it at home on a bag of potatoes.
· Braid’s handy on the beach, but brings its own problems too. Steer clear until you can afford to trash £15-worth of line in one cast without getting upset. Its value is the narrow diameter to breaking strain, I’ll comfortably use 3oz lead rather than 6oz if I’m on braid, and it does cast a long way. The early problem was the arc of line in the air as the lead hit the water –monfil just falls nicely, but as the braid falls the wind causes spindles and knots. On the retrieve, these knots lock up and show as large loops as they reach the rod, very difficult to undo, snip them tidy but end up with 100 yards of knots in no time.
· The answer for me was to try different types of braid, practice a very flat trajectory to the cast, lock the spool as soon as the lead hits the water, then lift the rod and move smartly backward to minimise the arc.
· If using braid, then you’ll feel every single enquiry as you retrieve, great fun for teasing flatties on a wind-stop-wait-wind basis.
· All the calculations are out of the window when fishing into a very strong headwind. You’ll need that heavier lead’s impetus to tow your bait out, “It has a slower take-off speed for the same casting energy but retains greater momentum”, said Einstein. He then said, “The smaller lead takes off faster (maybe smashing your bait at lift-off), and slows more rapidly in the headwind, hardly anything gained, Pal”. Yeah, what did he know about fishing?
· “I fish, therefore I am”.
· Sorry, went off on one there. Back to Line. This had a mention elsewhere, but the site is so vast now it’ll take ages to find. To get the right amount of braid on your line, you’ll need backing line, a clear head and a couple of spare reels. 1 – load braid onto your chosen reel, tie a good-quality knot to the backing and load backing to your chosen total level. 2- wind it all off onto another reel, ending up with braid on top. 3 – wind it on to another reel again, you should now have backing on top. 4- now wind onto your first reel. If multiplying, strip it very quickly from side to side, otherwise a decent fish or a snag will cause it to bed into the coils if wound cotton-reel style. This will then be the distance of your next cast, with associated ‘stops dead in mid-air’ problems.
· What is nice about using braid or very narrow dia monofil is that, on those odd casts which go for ever, the line level on the reel drops only a fraction compared to normal mono. This means fewer turns of the handle to get it all back in again due to the larger diameter of the remaining line on the spool.
· Rather than use trigonomonangling to work it out, next time you’re on the beach, put your rod in the tripod and walk the line out fifty yards sideways. Look at the angle the line makes with the beach, and consider how far off the bottom your top hook will lie in the water. Add tide to your mental picture. This is a good way to visualise what’s going on out there on a shallow beach. It’ll be half that distance off the bottom at 100 yards.
· Don’t put expensive reels and line in your hand luggage at Belfast airport, you might be thinking of strangling all the cabin crew simultaneously, or something........ I tried to explain breaking strains but they thought I might plait it (!), they wanted it all cut off and thrown away. This is all a cunning plot to stop you beating their locals on their home ground next time.
· Oh, and Gemini leads 'look like armour-piercing rounds, Sir' on their cargo x-ray machine, too.
· And my eyes were too close together. MK

Bread

Post by Bread »

Hi MK,

didn't understand this bit ..

"

Rather than use trigonomonangling to work it out, next time you’re on the beach, put your rod in the tripod and walk the line out fifty yards sideways. Look at the angle the line makes with the beach, and consider how far off the bottom your top hook will lie in the water. Add tide to your mental picture. This is a good way to visualise what’s going on out there on a shallow beach. It’ll be half that distance off the bottom at 100 yards.

"

Thanks.

also, do you know what the best way to release on a pendulum cast - weight coming towards you (and then wack it) or weight going away from you (and the whack it).

Perhaps casting techiniques and the 10 steps to pendulum heaven ?

(please ?)

Cheers.

stuartdv

Post by stuartdv »

Paul

On the pendulum the weight should have reached the apex of its arc - so its pretty much weightless and in the position of an off the ground cast (but with the lead in the air)- it shouldnt be moving either toward you or away from you when you start bringing the rod round smoothly into the main cast- or "whacking it" as you put it- BUT seriously mate-I've said it before and I'll say it again and I cant emphasize this enough if you havent already done so you'd be better off having a couple of lessons to make sure you're used to OTG casting before you go onto pendulum
I knowsome people have managed to teach themselves but its a lot safer to have someone show you how to cast properly.

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

hints

Post by MadKev »

Screaming,

The fifty yard thing is just to help visualise what's going on whem iys cast out to sea, whether hooks are near the bottom or not.

I had two one-hour casting lessons in my life, more use than any book or video, and use an aerialised off the ground cast only. I can;t begin to describe how to in text. Stuartdv has it right. MK

Bread

Post by Bread »

So who's up for giving me a lesson then ?

StuartDV - saw you demonstrating the legend at St Osyth - how about coming over to Clacton with us Friday night ?

I remember golf driving ranges that used to video your tee shots. Wish they could do it for casting.

concrete

Post by concrete »

You can't go straight into pendulum casting.

You have to start with OTG to get the technique right.

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 »

Somebody said that you ought to use a shockleader for pandemonium casting. Is that right?!!!! :twisted: :lol: :lol:

concrete

Post by concrete »

DuncBooth5 wrote:Somebody said that you ought to use a shockleader for pandemonium casting. Is that right?!!!! :twisted: :lol: :lol:
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 »

So, was it something I said? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bread

Post by Bread »

Do you want to give me casting lessons then Mr Concrete ?

concrete

Post by concrete »

Good grief! I've just noticed how many posts I've done.

I can't be full of $h1t anymore, it's all on here now. :lol:

DuncBooth5

Post by DuncBooth5 »

From what Blackdog was saying on the bird flu post theres plenty more to come!!! :lol: :lol: