Best Rig for Cod

Please post all your Tips and tricks here.
cookiemonster

Best Rig for Cod

Post by cookiemonster »

Hi all is the best rig for cod a Pennel rig or is there a rig which does even better as am going to try for my first ever cod tomorrow night from the shore. The tide where I will be fishing has a deep water channel but the tide rushes through here so any suggestions on weights would also be appreciated.

Many thanks

Colin B-) B-) B-) B-) B-)

leontrotsky

Post by leontrotsky »

A pennel rig should do you fine - with regards to leads - if it's a fast running tide you'll prob need to use a 7 oz lead with thick grip wires- you may need to fix the wires if the tide is so strong it breaks the wires out- cast uptide as far as you can and let a big bow of line out until the lead holds- then once the line tightens up wait for your rod tip to spring back and reel in that nice fat juicy cod- Mmmmmmmm

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster »

thanks leontrotsky

gallagher08
Occasional
Occasional

Post by gallagher08 »

good look cookie :D

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster »

thanks mate will let you know how i get on

rca

rigs

Post by rca »

hi mate
if you take a look on the north west side forum i have posted a report on sat 1st nov with a photo of the catch i was useing a pennel rig and always use them for cod an excellent rig

Ron

jimjam
Regular
Regular

Post by jimjam »

hiya pal i would use a 175grm gemeni short tailed lead with a pennel pully rig(make sure it clips down) and for bait i would use black lug and squid cocktail :D

gman

Post by gman »

pennel rig defo

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster »

gman wrote:pennel rig defo
Would a 2 hook flapper with a pennel rig sat after the lead work. Will probably make this up tonite and try it on Monday when I go out. This isprobably likethe ultimate rig suggested in the post of that name in the general forum. But any suggesting would be grateful.....Colin

baitdigger
Regular
Regular

Post by baitdigger »

Stick with a pennel pulley, its the classic big fish/ big bait/rough ground rig
If i'm using them on clean ground I tie them with a breakaway impact lead, if its snaggy ground I use a bait shield an some kind of rotten bottom link