aberdeen newbie in need of advice!

Anything Scottish Coast sea fishing related here
zed01

aberdeen newbie in need of advice!

Post by zed01 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:01 am

Hi there,

another newbie to the forum and to sea fishing, and in need of some advice! I'm struggling to catch something...anything.

I have been fishing between Aberdeen and Cove and am catching NOTHING but do keep losing my tackle to the seabed. So my questions are: Is there a good all round rig type a beginner should be using? I have been sticking to 2-3 hook flappers as, to be honest, I really don't know when other types should be used, or under what situation they should be used - any advice on this would also be great

Is there anywhere along this stretch of coast that I won't keep losing my rigs/tackle? Is it worth considering North of Aberdeen and fishing the sandy beaches (and what rigs/gear should I use for this!?)

Are there other options to explore when shore fishing such as feathers, spinners, and what are jellies and can these used for shore fishing?

Any advice from Aberdeen based fishermen would be great as to where to try and what works.

Thanks!

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:43 am

Welcome to the forum m8 sorry but not my neck of the woods.If you look down on the left hand of your screen at the forums you will find rigs have a look it might help. :D :D

DAZ B-) B-) B-)

zed01

Post by zed01 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:47 am

Cheers Daz, will check it out

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:58 pm

Hi mate, I have used a two hook clipped down rig for general purposes for many years but if you are casting onto rocky ground or where there is a lot of rubbish in the water (some harbours are like this) then I would advise you to explore some new areas as you will continue to lose end gear and line if you don't. I have just been having a look at your area on Google Earth and although I know nothing about it it strikes me that near the Don mouth could be good at some states of the tide......

zed01

Post by zed01 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:30 pm

Cheers eccles, much obliged for your input

CrazyYak

Post by CrazyYak » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:21 pm

Zed,

The Mackerel are biting extremely well right now. Caught 20+ in about 1 hour today usinga double hook rig. The trick to not snagging the bottom is lighten your gear. I'm using a 1/2 weight and counting down to the bottom 1/3 of the water colum -- not necessarily the bottom. Email if you would like to go sometime, I've been fishing at Cove Bay and will be glad to show you what I know: mullins_tx@sbcglobal.net

Hooked up!

Makeshift Livewell:

Steve

zed01

Post by zed01 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:41 am

Hi Steve, thanks for the mesaage. what bait were you using? I may well take you up on your offer, thanks

Zed

CrazyYak

Post by CrazyYak » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:25 pm

Sabiki Rigs (large feathers), Tobix 10g, Bomber Jigging Spoon, and 1.5oz knife jigs. Will need to start using bait while the water clarity is off, nothing biting on lures today.