A visit to Scotland

Anything Scottish Coast sea fishing related here
ian1965

A visit to Scotland

Post by ian1965 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:43 am

Hi Guys n Girls,
im having a long holiday in April and wondering where to beach fish has anyone got any sugestions for an ex pat, was sort of thinking East Coast,
but I am open to ideas, thanks in advance for any tips.

Ian nr Leeds

beachnut

Post by beachnut » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:27 pm

Hi Ian. Belhaven bay next to Dunbar is worth a crack, as is Coldingham bay. Both venues have a good head of flounder and even though April is not the most productive time of year for them, I reckon either venue should still throw up a few fish. Both areas are pretty much snag-free and a medium fixed spool attached to a light beachcaster/bass rod capable of throwing out 3-4 ounce weights is definitely the way to go. Daylight fishing can be a bit of a hit or a miss and I would certainly recommend fishing a couple of hours into the evening at least. Two or three hook flappers with size 1-1/0 hooks baited with worms or fishbaits cast out to around 50-80 yards should suffice. If you intend to give the evening a bash, remember to have some decent, warm clothing and a good headlamp! Tight lines, Stan.

ian1965

Scotland

Post by ian1965 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:33 am

Hi Stan,

thanks for advice its much apriciated, most people seem to be keeping quiet, you are my only reply, again thank you....

Ian :)

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:19 am

Unfortunately Ian mate we have very few scottish members and what we do have a re pretty scattered, after saying that the membership is building up.

I saw your post some time ago but I am only familiar with Loch Long and so I didn't reply.
Cheers
Keith :D :D

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:56 am

i hope so keith
steve

ian1965

Shocked

Post by ian1965 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:40 am

Hi Keith,

having such a great coast line i am shocked there are few members over the boarder, i would have expected hundreds as they had droves of fishing boats a few years ago.

Ian

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:55 am

The fishing potential in and around the Scottish coast is phenomenal both from boat and shore.

This brings me to the fact that so few of the people who live on the coast, actually fish. why?

The fishing in Scotland is so varied with plenty of deep water venues available. Shame its just so far to travel for a days fishing otherwise I would be up there every fine day available.
Cheers
keith :D :D

fishhunter
Regular
Regular

Post by fishhunter » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:55 pm

What I have found is that a lot of guys up here just dont use forums to report about catches or marks and any that do use a far more popular site than this one which I will refrain from mentioning.
If you really want info on the fishing up here it may help for you to seek out the other forums which the mods on here hate anyone mentioning.

ian1965

Post by ian1965 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:08 pm

Ok i will take your advice. but why should the mods advertise any other forum as yours dont seem to interact and act so secretive? all in all we just want a good days fishing where ever we live !!!!!

Cheers

Ian

fishhunter
Regular
Regular

Post by fishhunter » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:35 pm

everyone likes a good days fishing whenever or wherever they may be but to put it simply you will get very little help about scotland on this site as there are very few scots people on here and i have already told you to check out other forums like worldseafishing.com as there are loads of users on there and many are willing to help out.

As for advice i could help a little although i am still very much a novice myself but as you are pretty vague about the area you are going to be i cant give you a rundown of the whole east coast of scotland.

south east scotland is about all i may be able to help with.

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:14 pm

Hi Fishunter, just to set the record straight, the mods on here try to adhere to the rules of the site, (written, or unwritten) we have no problem with members joining other sites, or browsing them. What we dont allow, is members putting down this site, and boosting up another. I wouldnt dream of going on another site and telling members to go to Sea-fishing .org because were better. and if i were to do this, and the mods on that site were worth the title, they would nip it in the bud. Were not in the same mind as football supporters, each forum is a matter of preference, and has something to offer its members. I've been on this site for 3 years next week, and have no problem with it. I also dont have a problem with other sites, its every members choice to join, or post etc. As rabbi said, we have very few scottish members, that doesnt mean were inferior to WSF, we have some really good members, very little trouble, and always ready to help others if they can, especially with charity matches, as im sure other sites have as well. Cheers..Mick

fishhunter
Regular
Regular

Post by fishhunter » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:45 pm

never once did i suggest that this site is "Inferior" to any other in anything i have wrote and i am certainley not "boosting" WSF in any way.
I am only trying to help the guy by pointing him in the direction of a site where he will get the information he wants rather than go through with the rigmarole of the usual someone will come along soon and help.
I have very rarely used the scotland forum on here to ask for advice as i know there are not many active members so i ask on other forums (general) for instance.
As you will have noticed there is only one reply from a scots user before i came along and i have offered to give him advice but he needs to be more specific as i dont fish the entire east coast of scotland.
Its like me saying i am coming to england and would like to fish the east coast which is pretty vague is it not?

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:14 pm

I suggest that the subject of other sites be dropped. As for mods hating other sites, bunkum, several members and mods are members of other sites and there is no problem. The problem arises when members mention other sites where the is no reciprocal link.

There are no restictions on members browsing or joining other sites.

Please read the rules carefully and abide by them

Rabbi2
Mod

fishhunter
Regular
Regular

Post by fishhunter » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:22 pm

ok sorry cant help as question is too vague for me to be able to assist.

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:13 am

Hi Fishunter, Im not suggesting you were putting down this site. I was trying to give an instance where a mod might edit or delete a post, giving the impression mentioning other sites is a big no no. Theres no problem with mentioning other sites in order to help members get the info they are seeking. But as rabbi2 pointed out, links to other sites are not allowed, unless reciprocated. I read my post again, and can see how you might think i was referring to yours with my comments, for that i apologise, a classic example of the written word sounding different to what was actually meant. Anyway as you can see, your posts are untouched, including the other site, which we wont mention. ;) :D If your able to help members in any way, its appreciated, and welcome, thats what its all about. Once again my apologies for giving the wrong impression. Cheers...Mick