etive

Anything Scottish Coast sea fishing related here
GeordieDawg

etive

Post by GeordieDawg » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:22 pm

Hi all, im a new member and 3 of us are going to etive 4th jan for 3 days and was wondering if anyone would be so kind and share any info on marks and best times of the tide to fish.
fished the windsock, bonawe quarry and the church a couple times but not had much luck with the spurrys or thornies.
Any info would be much appreciated as travelling from Gateshead and would really like to bag my first spur or thornback.
Cheers lads

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:44 am

Your post will soon be answered as they are a great bunch of lads on here. In the meantime a warm welcome to the forums mate.
Cheers
keith :D :D

Esskie

Post by Esskie » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:45 pm

Hi there GeordieDawg,
Welcome to the forum mate ;)

You didn't say if you were fishing from a boat or the shore so I'll assume a boat :)

Three of us were at Etive just yesterday as it happens and I don't mind at all sharing information with a fellow angler buddy :)

It was our first time on the loch too so we only had what info we'd managed to scrape together online

Anyway, keep it simple, 1up-1 down rigs with as many luminous beads, booms, muppets etc as you care to mention......I was fishing with 3-4 x 8mm luminous beads right above the hook with a wee bit power gum to keep them there.
Short snoods to avoid tangles as the loch is 300-400ft+ in places, my top snood was only 6" and the bottom one below the lead around 9"-10"

Hokkai rigs and anything similar work well, again size 2/0-3/0 worked for us for fish ranging in size from the tiniest pout & gurnard to codling, ling, dogfish and much, much larger pollack & spurdog

Bait wise strips of squid, mackerel & herring on size 2/0 & 3/0 hooks worked well for us yesterday, something oily & smelly with the water being so black, visibility in the water is very low & you can only see a couple of metres down from the surface....if that?

Leads of 8-10oz, with maybe a 12oz if the current is strong, hold bottom no problem

Good marks are just off the quarry & the church down round the corner, we found mooring close to shore directly opposite the quarry was producing really well in the deep water there.

Here's a link to a wee video that helped us sort out, hopefully it might be of some use to you too ;)
Loch Etive spurdogs

We are hoping to get another visit in before xmas but don't know if we'll manage, if not then as soon as possible afterwards for sure :D

Best of luck with the spurdog mate, it was only added to my species list yesterday too
Cheers, SK

PuddleSplasher

Post by PuddleSplasher » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:38 pm

Eskkies tactics are similar to what I found a few weeks ago on Etive.

From Taynuilt pier where I launched the boat we travelled up the Loch to the mussel farm, just beyond the quarry. (In Scottish Mist or fog as it's known) But I was assisted with the Chartplotter. Once there we were fishing around 400ft of water with Giant and small Hokkais, tipped with frozen mackerel and squid.

Results were almost instant and progressed at a steady pace throughout the day with fish being hooked around every 10 minutes or at least it felt that way.

Rigs were as basic as you could make them. French booms with 20lb snoods, 3 ft apart resulted in us losing a few fish. In all honesty it was negligence that lost the fish as I was using 20lb mono that I had forgotten to change from a previous outing at Dunure which had a sandy bottom.

As the fish were coming at a steady pace we opted to stay there for most of the day yet still had Spurs, Dogs, Codling and Whiting.

Head hooking live 12" ragworm produced a marvelous specimen of Whiting which was around 6" with an engorged belly and the worm coiled up in its throat.

Was it a good day? Even a blank would have been a good day. I seen the sun rising in the East and setting in the West, meanwhile as the sun was dipping towards Oban the moon was rising over the hills. I just wish my camera had been with me that day.

GeordieDawg

Post by GeordieDawg » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:16 pm

Thanks for all the info lads, much appreciated. We will be fishing from the shore on the tuesday and thursday before we set off home, but hope to get a boat on the wednesday, so everything you mention is a great help.
Hope this weather sorts itself out or we'll be going nowhere. Just wish I had webbed feet :D

GeordieDawg

Post by GeordieDawg » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:55 pm

Hi Lads, 3 of us managed to get up to Etive from newcastle on Jan 4th till 6th. Fished the church on the tuesday along with 7 lads from a glasgow fishing club who were already there and only one 8lb spurdog landed between us.
On the wednesday we had a self drive boat for the day from Taynuilt and headed up past the quarry about 1/2 hr and tied up to a bouy in the middle of the Loch near a mussel farm. Really deep spot and what a day we had :D 31 fish between us, 6 doggies and 25 spurs up to about the 5lb mark. Coloured baited Hokais worked best.
On the thursday we fished 9am till 2.30 at a spot that worked well for me on a previous trip near a nother mussel farm but again not a sniff from the shore. Sorry no pics but had a mishap with the camera but enough said about that :(
Cheers again for all the info.

PuddleSplasher

Post by PuddleSplasher » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:27 pm

That was me that was cooking next to you :D