Shore casting rig advice

Anything Scottish Coast sea fishing related here
pter

Shore casting rig advice

Post by pter » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:29 am

Gents,
Just getting into the fishing again and looking for a bit of advice.All the gear I have is for boat fishing,in addition to this i have a 13 ft boat no engine ( stolen and frankly the reason I gave up fishing for a while I was so disgusted).Any way champing at the bit and fancy a bit of shore fishing while I save up for a new engine.Could anyone advise me on a decent rod and reel for starting off from the shore in say the medium price bracket .Love the forum by the way the amount of info on site is brill !
Cheers
Peter

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi Peter, Both Fladen and Shakespeare do a decent rod at reasonable prices. Shakespeare also do a decent fixed spool reel.
I would suggest going for a combo as this would be a cheaper option.

Welcome to the forums mate. Cheers
keith :D :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:59 pm

pter

Post by pter » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:17 pm

Thats interesting,I had in my mind that the reel would be a type of multiplier ( no particular reason just my perception)yet you both mention fixed spool.What advantages does the fixed spool have over the multiplier ?
Regards
Peter

cuckoo

Post by cuckoo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:28 pm

pter wrote:What advantages does the fixed spool have over the multiplier ?
Regards
Peter
Virtually none in the right hands :D :D a fs is a lot easier to cast and operate for a beginner but guessing as a boat angler your used to multis and uptiding , fs will give you quicker retreive than most multis and walloping casts without the threat of nesting :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:01 am

I have both but prefer the fixed spool at night when I do a lot of my sessions because I am far less likely to get into trouble with birds nests and tangles. Also most beginners are advised to start with a FS reel because as the man said it is easier to cast with and has a significantly faster retrieve rate.
However for sheer cranking power you can't beat a good multi - I would hate to get involved with a seriously large fish using a FS but that is not very likely on most UK beaches.

folky
Occasional
Occasional

Post by folky » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:12 am

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:36 am

Peter, after reading you post very carefully, you state that you are a competent boat fisherman but are relatively new to shore fishing. My advice is to purchase a Fixed spool reel as they are a lot easier for the beginner and are far less trouble, but please stay away from the Penn 850 reel.
Cheers
keith :D :D

pter

Post by pter » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:21 pm

excellent info guys ! I really appreciate the assistance
Peter