disabled angler

Anything Scottish Coast sea fishing related here
freetime

disabled angler

Post by freetime »

Just joined this happy band. accident in 06 left me using crutches/wheelchair. Very much want to get back to fishing anyone know of accessable spots or boats that have easy boarding .

HBFASH

Post by HBFASH »

Some of the boats from Arbroath have easy boarding, but it is very much dependant on a highish tide to start, call the arbroath harbourmaster for up to date info.

Easy marks in our area....
Dundee Riverside (Doesn`t get any easier than this....) parking all along roadway, approx 12ft of pavement to get to wall beside water. Species, Sea Trout,flounders, dabs, small cod & pollack & coalfish.

Broughty Ferry Pier, park at end approx 30yards of concrete to fishing (no rails or any other means of stopping) Species same as riverside good for mackerel in summer though...

Montrose Beach: You can actually fish from the railings over high water, but you`ll need a good retriev on yoour reel.. flounders, bass, dab

Ferryden; small shingle/pebble beach at road end-good cod mark after a heavy swell, not overly rough if you can manage to walk around 20 steps.

Stonehaven: you can park close to pier and fish from end, less than 50yds on concrete-railings here-cod, pollack etc...

Arbroath: you can park on the wall, but you have to climb narrow stairs to the cages which are secure except when freak waves hit-codling/pollack-another bet is the small secure bay at the north end of the pier, park there and cast out left towards the beach-good codling/pollack & whiting in winter over high tide-doesnt get swamped and there are even seats...luxury

Arbroath beach is easily accessable at it`s east end and flounders/dabs & occassional bass can eb caught from the end of the first concrete slipway.

Gordon harbour you can drive onto pier, but is verytight for more than 3 anglers, Johnshaven is accesable but a poor venue as incredably snaggy & shallow water.

Inverbervie is good, close to car park, but steep shingle, so maybe not suitable.

If you can make it North to Peterhead you can drive all the way out onto the south breakwater which sticks out 3/4 mile, alomost like being out on a boat.there is a low rail all the way long to stop slipping in.species: codling, pollack, coalfish, flatteies,ling.

If you want any info on a specific venue just drop a note here.

freetime

re safe marks.

Post by freetime »

Many thanks HBFASH. As my son 7years old will be following me on some of my outings its good to know where i can take him knowing he will have a bit of saftey. A thought on Arbroath boats. wonder if i could board via the marina pontoons? Must take a trip around harbour and speak to some of the skippers.

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi Freetime, welcome to the forum, good luck with the fishing, hope you find a good selection of boats and venues to get you out and about. Cheers..Mick

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

One place I used to fish regular was at Arrochar at the top of loch Long by the old submarine Penn's for conger.

Its rough ground but the fishing can be great. There is a campsite that you can fish from as well as they have a slipway there, also rag worm can be found in abundance.

Oh by the way a very warm welcome to the forums.
Cheers
keith :D :D

HBFASH

Post by HBFASH »

Some of the boats use a nice angled ramp on the south east end of the harbour in Arbroath.
I`ve never seen a charter boat leave from the pontoons, but it may well be possible to arrange.
But at low tides I`ve sen us climbing all the way down the old rusty /slippy ladders to get to the boats, not easy for someone without disabilities carrying your rods/boxes etc...
Best bet is to make sure with the skipper beforehand that thye tide will be high enough to load on the ramp (both ways!!).