cod fishing?

Anything Scottish Coast sea fishing related here
mac47
Occasional
Occasional

cod fishing?

Post by mac47 »

I have headed up north three times in the last couple of weeks fishing from Arbroath to Aberdeen and thought I would post about the latest trip.
Got up at 5am loaded up the car and headed north to a mark just south of Aberdeen. The conditions looked great with an easterly wind stirring up the sea and a rising tide. Unfortunately no one told the cod.
Fished off a high mark for safety and fished big lug, mussel, razor and squid baits. Caught one 4oz codling in about 5hrs.
Eventually had to give up as the wind increased to gale force and casting became almost impossible. The forecast was for force 4-5 SE and then southerly but that didn't happen the wind stayed SE and howled in.
I've not had much success with the cod so far this year and It seems that they are not there in gr8 numbers though some anglers have done well on a few occasions. Being at the right place at the right time seems to be the secret. Whereas in previous years fishing the right mark in the right conditions could almost guarantee you a fish or two.
On the 4hr journey back home I decided to fish closer to home this winter. So if anyone has been fishing with any success from Dunbar to Berwick on Tweed pls let me know.
Mac

junglejim

cod this year

Post by junglejim »

i was out yesterday too and had tow small ones nothing over the 3lb mark but i have found there to be an abundance of this size of fish this year as i have had 14 in about seven trips out some blanks and some great success allin i think this year has been my best yet

mac47
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mac47 »

Just noticed your other post Jim wish we hadn't gone so far north now. Maybe we have just been unlucky as the four trips in total have produced just 3 fish albeit the biggest was 8lb exactly.
I remember one memorable trip about ten yrs ago when I had over ten fish in this weight range and the two guys I was with had a similar result. It wasn't unusual to get good bags of cod then but they don't seem to be around in the same numbers now. Perhaps the recent decision by the EU not to extend the cod quota for the Scottish fleet is the correct one.
Mac.

scottishcodhunter
Occasional
Occasional

Post by scottishcodhunter »

How unlucky can you get :((

I was out with Mac yesterday ( I have had a good cod season so far ) and mac drives up here and we had a poor session -conditions were good but as mac says nobody told the fish------------------------

:D :D :D :D :D Sorry Mac to make things worse I have been at the same Mark today with a friend and we had a great session conditions were GREAT 4 fish around 7lb and a dozen around 3lb -I lost a bigger one as I could not lift it up to the high mark -my mate Stu took pictures so when i get them I hope to post up -

mac47
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mac47 »

~#@"!!!#** X( X( X( just about covers it!!!
Well done Steve that must be amongst the best bag that come out this season. In future I wil wait for you to phone me. Just give me the nod the night before.
Mac