Visiting Fort William area

Anything Scottish Coast sea fishing related here
curt

Visiting Fort William area

Post by curt »

Hi folks, I've got a week off next week and will be stopping in Fort William. I've heard fishing from the car park there is pretty good for thornies. It can't be worse than shore fishing from the Plymouth area has been this year, very poor. Anyway, just wondering if any body knows a tackle shop nearby where i can get hold of some live rag/lug worm? I've phoned Fort William tackle shop but they don't sell it. Cheers for your help.

curt

Post by curt »

Ended up using old/dead rag from Wales plus frozen peeler, black lug and Mackerel. Fished about 50 yards out with a two-hook flapper rig with a 6 oz gripper lead. Was amazed by how much tidal pull there was and the lead couldn't hold bottom. Had 3 very small Codling, one large freshwater eel, 2 doggies, 4 Whiting and a small thornback. Only fished for 4 hours from Fort William car park. Had a great time and the fishing was a damn sight better than i've been having this year on the south Devon coast. Will definitely be back to Scotland in the future for other fishing trips.

mac47
Occasional
Occasional

Fort William

Post by mac47 »

Hi Curt,
Well done on your catch that was not too bad considering you were struggling for bait. I missed your first post as I have been out of commission for a while but if you are coming back up let me know and I will guide you to some bait beds. The bait digging is not easy but if you persevere you will get enough for a session. Just a thought, if you are coming up from Plymouth and want to target thornies and cod bring some peeler with you
Mac

curt

Post by curt »

Cheers Mac for the offer. I'd like to get up to Scotland more often but it is a fair trek from devon and even then got to get work out of the way and get my leave pass stamped by the wife. I'll be in touch though if an oppurtunity arises. Tight lines.