Mullet at Bowling

Anything Scottish Coast sea fishing related here
HBFASH

Mullet at Bowling

Post by HBFASH »

I tried the harbour at Bowling for mullet as I`d seen reports of monster Mullet patrolling here, maybe I was at the wrong end, but all I saw all day was floating rubbish..
I was fishing from beside the picnic area to the south of the canal entry...
Is it better elsewhere?

mac47
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mac47 »

Hi,
I used to fish Bowling from the old breakwater. You park behind the pub and go over the railway foot bridge. Casting out into the river there were lots of small flounders, good eels and an occasional eelpout. I even caught a seatrout once. I never saw mullet but in those days it was probably more of a midden than it is now. Inside the basin behind the breakwater should hold mullet as the muddy bottom would be perfect for them to grub about in.
As you drive down the hill you should see a sign into the station, turn left park where you can and cross the bridge and you will see the breakwater. I reckon this is where the mullet will have been caught.
Mac

sawkye

Post by sawkye »

as MAC47 says,cross the railway line theres a gate go through it and head about halfway along it.you can fish the river for small sea trout and flatties.but if you want mullet just turn round and fish into the bay and you should get mullet.l live
down there and fish it all the time.be aware if you want to fish the river head there at low tide and fish it on the way in,as it turns you will need a stone of lead to hold bottom.if you need any more info let me know will be happy to advise or even meet you there work allowing.

PS
a wee tip use grubs and cast 10ft out at the most into the river for the sea trout.

Central

Post by Central »

sawkye wrote:as MAC47 says,cross the railway line theres a gate go through it and head about halfway along it.you can fish the river for small sea trout and flatties.but if you want mullet just turn round and fish into the bay and you should get mullet.l live
down there and fish it all the time.be aware if you want to fish the river head there at low tide and fish it on the way in,as it turns you will need a stone of lead to hold bottom.if you need any more info let me know will be happy to advise or even meet you there work allowing.

PS
a wee tip use grubs and cast 10ft out at the most into the river for the sea trout.
Sawke

New to the forum and new to sea fishing so go easy on me ! I know this are well - I used to live in Old Kilpatrick - but have never fished there before.

I was thinking of bringing my son over tomorrow and having a go for mullet and sea trout. In real 'Fishing for Dummies' terms can you tell me what sort of bait I should be using, should I float or sink, what size of hook / type of rig etc. ? Should I use a lure / spinner for sea trout. Really appreciate any help you can give us.

Cheers

Craig.

mac47
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mac47 »

Hi Craig,
You resurrected an old post there and as I was one of the guys that gave an answer I thought I would try to help you out.
I am not sure if the mullet will still be there as they move on when the weather gets colder. Likewise with the seatrout if there has been rain they may have moved up river but there could be a few stragglers about. There will be flounder and eels, the occasional eel pout and maybe a codling or two.
The type of rigs you need are simple 2 or 3 hook flappers with size 1 or 2 hooks. You can increase the hook size but I wouldn't go over a size 1'0. You will also need gripper weights to hold the bottom.
Bait At this time of year can include mackerel, bluey sandeel, rag and lug, they all will catch with the fish baits being best for flounder.
From the breakwater cast short into the river. You want to cast just past the rocks at the base of the breakwater. If it is still there you can get some decent eels under the wooden pier at the old boat yard. Fish from the corner of the breakwater and cast over to the pilings, Don't try to get on the old pier it was dodgy yrs ago.
If the mullet are there use a small perch float size 8 hooks and vary the depth to where the fish are. Try bread and any other bait you have as they are not as fussy as they are claimed to be.
Hope this helps.
Mac

Central

Post by Central »

Mac

Thanks for the quick response and the great advice. Sounds like it might be worth a pop over the weeken. I'll let you know how we get on. Thanks again for the advice.

Craig.

sawkye

Post by sawkye »

Craig.you wont get any mullet now,they come in the summer and are away by end of august or if really warm middle of september,was down last week and was plagued by seals and crabs.you may get some flatties but a bit early for cod,let me know how you get on and remember when the tide turns and starts to go out you will have an hour at most before its murder holding bottom even with grip leads..

Central

Post by Central »

Sawkye

Thanks for the reply. Didn't get over yesterday - confined to domestic duties and today was a wash out. Might try and get across next weekend or might go further down river. Do you know if Helensburgh is any good ?

Cheers.

Craig.

sawkye

Post by sawkye »

Hi,to be honest this time of year about here is fairly quiet,best bet is to fish for flatties.as the weather gets colder you can expect some small codling around Helensburgh up to Bowling.As l said if your going to fishing Bowling l would only fish with the tide comming in as it hits high water and starts to turn its really to strong to fish on.