On the mend........ and first trip out

Anything Scottish Coast sea fishing related here
scottishcodhunter
Occasional
Occasional

On the mend........ and first trip out

Post by scottishcodhunter »

Well I will start off by apologising to those who were hoping to join me on a wreck fishing trip in June as It did not happen as planned ,
I have until recently been in and out of hospital I am now on the mend and will be in touch with those people in the comming weeks and may be able to set another date

As I have missed the start of the summer :(( I have a lot of fishing to catch up on
So my first trip starts on Sunday :) I am heading over to Oban (caravan on tow,a recent purchase ) with my son to fish Loch Etive from the shore and from the boat for three days
I have fished Etive on a number of occasions in the past so looking forward to it and fingers crossed it is fishing well

Has anyone been there recently?

topfish

On the mend

Post by topfish »

Hi glad to here you are on the mend!! :) I was thinking of fishing Scotland next year? like you I have a caravan and go to Cornwall most of the time but this year the fishing was c---p >:) >:) so would you please send me some details on the caravan site you stop at and maybe next year we could meet up for a days fishing? :) Steve.

scottishcodhunter
Occasional
Occasional

I will give details when I get back ,In the past I have stayed at Taynult caravan park where I rented a static for a couple of nights it is 5 mins from the loch and only 10 min from the old harbour where we collect our boat for the day,so this trip I will do the same but with my own caravan
Steve keep in touch

fishhunter
Regular
Regular

Post by fishhunter »

welcome back and hope you are keeping well steve

topfish

Thanks

Post by topfish »

scottishcodhunter wrote:I will give details when I get back ,In the past I have stayed at Taynult caravan park where I rented a static for a couple of nights it is 5 mins from the loch and only 10 min from the old harbour where we collect our boat for the day,so this trip I will do the same but with my own caravan
Steve keep in touch
Hi yes i will keep in touch, let me know how you get on with your van? :) hope you have a good time!! steve. :)

mac47
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mac47 »

Hi Steve,
Good to hear your on the mend. I've been under the weather myself the last couple of weeks and have not got out much. Let us know how you got on at Etive and if you are planning another boat trip.
Mac

scottishcodhunter
Occasional
Occasional

Well I had a great time -and a pb taken and my son also got his first smoothehound .

We could not stay at the caravan park I had used in the past as it is now all statics so we found one in Oban and it was really friendly and all facilities were in first class condition .
We picked up a boat from dougie at Taynuilt old pier and headed up the loch. I started with a two hook flapper and firetail jellies about 30-40 foot down as I was looking for big pollack for tea but nothing doing ,Then we moored up by the muscle farm and used muscle as bait but nothing doing either, two hours and not a bite drastic action needed so moved down towards colonel bridge and drifted in the middle of the loch with hookais and mackerl bait and about 80-100 f00t down and I was in first a nice smoothehound of 15lb a PB for me and within 20 secs my son had his first about 10lb and for the next two hours we were hauling them in on average of 9lb to 11lb ( great fishing ) then we were visited by a seal so we moved up to the salmon farm and caught some more smoothehound and doggies some cod and mackies - in total 25 smoothehound 10 doggies some lsd and 5 poor cod around 3lb and mackies we just used as bait so
Im planning another trip soon - if intrested let me know -STEVE

topfish

Good trip

Post by topfish »

Hi Steve glad to here that your holiday went well!! Good fishing :)) and I bet your son was over the moon!! :) I have been looking at caravan sites in Scotland and its hard as to which coast east or west? #-o Which would you say was the best coast? One site I looked at was Muasdale Holiday Park, Tarbert, Argyll do you know anything about this area? You say that you and your pick up a boat was this charter or hire? Also would you please give me some details on were you stopped its sounds a good site? All the best Steve. :-h