TIPS for shore angling around Arbroath

Anything Scottish Coast sea fishing related here
codonarod

TIPS for shore angling around Arbroath

Post by codonarod » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:10 pm

:(( Still stugling to use this website for the first time .IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE!!!
Visited Arbroath recently for a look round for any fishing marks be it in summer or winter
Has anyone got any relevant info be it north or south side .High or low tide.Any tips on baits and rigs would be very helpful

mac47
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mac47 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:54 pm

Arbroath marks can fish all year round with Arbroath pier being popular in the winter and the rock marks all year round. Marks that can produce fish are Auchmithie and Usan which are both rough ground marks. Fish into the gullies and don't cast too far or you will not get your gear back. Pulley rigs or single hook flappers are the most used rigs but a rotten bottom is needed. There are other marks at the bottom of the cliffs but they are dangerous to climb and your best asking a local about access. Try one of the local tackle shops.
Best bait at this time of year is crab with lug, mack's and shellfish as reserve baits.
A couple of points. The first is don't fish there when there is a strong wind from the east as the swell can be huge. Once the wind is dying it can fish well.
Also the fishing from both boat and shore this summer so far has been poor. The general opinion is that the almost constant easterly winds have turned the sea to soup and it needs to clear for the fish to appear or at least feed.
On a brighter note the wind is to come south westerly, so tight lines

codonarod

Post by codonarod » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:47 pm

:) Hi to mac47.Many thanks for your reply to my enquiry about Arbroath.
I did take a look at the south side of the town alomg the beachy section,I would guess access to this area is over the railway bridge and walk for a bit,but whether the beach is flat or has any "gulley holes"along it ,I really dont know.My normal hunting ground is on the Yorkshire coast from Flamborough Head down to Spurn Point where I have had great successs over the years.
To be perfectly honest I do not have the confIdence to fish any of the local rock marks on my own without being in the company of a local angler who can point out the danger areas to me I AINT NO HERO!!! If I was to fish the beach ares first,at bleast I would have an escape route at my back considering I do not know the local tide surges.
Forgive me for harping on about the safety aspect of shore angling,but like most folks.I have had my fair share of"scary moments"even though I am suposed to know my area well.It really is not worth taking chances in unknown terratory.
So, I suppose the outshot is,Whats the beach fishing like,and is there a local sea angling club that I might get involved with?
You cannot beat local knowledge!

mac47
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mac47 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:18 pm

Hi Cod,
The area at the back of Bally's nightclub fishes on the flood in an easterly and it is safe, unless the sea is coming over the wall. Places like Easthaven beach are usually fine just watch out for the tide coming in behind you as it is easier to move up the beach rather than over the dunes. Usan is ok as long as the tide and sea is receding.
In saying that I got drenched by a rogue wave at Coldingham last year fishing a rocky point 20' up and 20' back from the sea on a decent day. So your concern is justified, as there has been many people losing their lifes along the east coast in the last couple of years.
Altough i fish the area a lot during the winter I don't know of any clubs in the area but the local charter fleet is large, by scottish standards, and if you phone one of the skippers they will help you out. http://www.arbroathangling.co.uk .

Mac

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:45 pm

Just got back from Arbroath see

Although I didn't fish what a great time I had and thepotential unbelieveable.
cheers keith :D :D

stroodsue
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by stroodsue » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:47 pm

ah the memories! the victoria park.. boy its changed.. whats that building on the right??

used to love walking there and going along the cliffs!!

Sue

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:45 pm

Not a clue but just at the back of the camera was the circus lol
Cheers keith :D :D

HBFASH

Post by HBFASH » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:42 am

I was down there yesterday...
Horrible south Easterly blowing water out to sea..water like mud, far too much colour producing the inevitable blank... :((

I am often down at the rocks though, if you`re up here a lot we can always tie up some time,and I can show you the local rock marks.
The beach is good for flatties & the ocasional bass, but I find Bally`s really unproductive during Summer,the rock marks provide the best chance of success given the right conditions...

let me know if you want a wee tour...

freetime

good fishing spot

Post by freetime » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:28 pm

good fishing spot in pic rabbi2 building on right is Jumping joyes childs play area. Grass area to side is pitch and putt . Further along from this point is the start of a long sandy beach.

scottishcodhunter
Occasional
Occasional

Post by scottishcodhunter » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:21 pm

the cliff marks have been fishing well for pollack of recent -but even in summer its not for the faint hearted >:) >:) and not to be fished alone