Hayling island

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

fido69r

Hayling island

Post by fido69r »

Does anyone know what the place on hayling is called, opposite the peir at eastney near the hayling ferry...The pier lies just beneath some naval radar thingy....and over the water is Hayling island...looks like a nice quiet, deep spot...I'm guessing it's at the entrance to Langstone harbour..

BOBFLY
Occasional
Occasional

Re: Hayling island

Post by BOBFLY »

fido69r wrote:Does anyone know what the place on hayling is called, opposite the peir at eastney near the hayling ferry...The pier lies just beneath some naval radar thingy....and over the water is Hayling island...looks like a nice quiet, deep spot...I'm guessing it's at the entrance to Langstone harbour..

hi there
you are are correct, it is the entrance to langstone harbour,and the bit of beach you talking about is the ferry boat inn,on hayling island to get there,drive on to hayling follow the road until you get to the roundabout go straight accross carry on until you get to the funfair,then turn right and follow this road right to the end,

hope this helps

regards bob

fido69r

Post by fido69r »

cheers bob...I guessed it must be called something...so...fishing from there...or indeed from the pier on the other side of the water would be much of the same thing....or is one side better than the other?

fido69r

Post by fido69r »

so which tide should I be looking at? Would it the one for portsmouth....or would it vary slightly?

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

Pompey tidetable is near enough. The jetty on the eastney side can produce lots of bream up to a pound and a bit on daytme tides but there are lots of people,jet-skis and weed to put up with. Good for junior anglers.

aircooledadams

Post by aircooledadams »

Hi, I'm pretty new to sea fishing, and I used this site...

http://www.solent-fishing-guide.co.uk/

...to get a feel of all the marks that everybody talks about on here. Reading all the posts makes a whole lot more sense now. It will also help you put names to places as well.

coastie

Post by coastie »

its known as Gunnerpoint. good for the odd bass but the tide is very strong

tight lines

dezy

re gunner point

Post by dezy »

some 30 years ago i used to fish from sandy point life boat with just a hook weight and lug or limpet, it was always good for bass,in late spring / early summer we used to go down before sun up at the same point for mackie never left without some on simple spiners. cant see that the fish have got too wise in that time scale goodluck.

fido69r

Post by fido69r »

well...gonna give it a whirl at the weekend...hope the kids stay away!

fido69r

Post by fido69r »

I'm after Bass....I hope Ragworm is ok.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

No point in spending money on rag mate, they will take mackerel strip this time of year NP. It's not the kids which are a nuisance, it's the jetski muppets if the weather is any good. Also, the falling tide is virtually unfishable due to the speed of the current/weed. Best to get there about 1/2 hour before low water and fish the rising tide until it gets too fast to fish then go to the pub. Well, not that pub, it's a bit crap - go to the Lifeboat on Hayling seafront instead. Oh BTW mackerel often start coming in about an hour after LW so take feathers with you too.

fido69r

Post by fido69r »

ah ecclles! wondered when you would pipe up...where you been mate...went to the hayling side today, as it was a nice day...and I see what you mean about the jetski muppets, and the weed.....Got it planned to go over by the jetty on the other side tomorrow, for a relaxing day with the mrs...just a day out...unfortunatly I already have a pound of rag here, so theyll have to do....Its seems very weedy down by the carpark on hayling, but was wondering what it was like past the jetty on the pompy side...you know, past that radar thingy.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Have never fished that spot although I understand that it used to be good for plaice if you could cast 100 yds+. Mind you the trawlers have been working it a bit recently so there may not be much about although I would still expect the possibilty of a mackerel shoal or two. What you probably will get is a lot of little knocks from small bream so use size 2 Aberdeen hooks because every so often you may contact a bream worth taking home for dinner.

fido69r

Post by fido69r »

never going back there again....more weed there, than in columbia! complete waste of time.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Hard cheese mate. It's not always like that; actually there has been a lot of weed recently all along Hayling. There has been no storm so there are only two possible culprits in my opinion - trawlers or dredgers. Anyway looks like we are having northerlies for the next few days so hopefully it will get blown off shore a bit which will mean the blokes over the IOW will be moaning next LOL.