southsea tomorrow

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

fitzy

southsea tomorrow

Post by fitzy »

hi new to sea fishing, me & my mate are off to southsea tomorrow.
we've been to hayling twice & once at southsea but caught nothing.
can anyone give us some advice, been told to try slipper limpets so we'll give that a try.just would like to catch something on matter what size
cheers
jim.

thebigbassman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by thebigbassman »

try lug/rag, squid, mackarel, crab, limpets , mussels etc

with a bit of luck you will catch doggies, whiting, flounders,codling, bass

good luck fitzy tight lines

fitzy

Post by fitzy »

cheers for that. just looking forward to getting out tomorrow, haven't been fishing since before xmas

thebigbassman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by thebigbassman »

good luck but you may find that the weekend will be better as there will be lighter winds

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Try near the blocks Fitzy but watch the current as it may take your rig actually into the blocks if it is running fast and you don't want to get snagged. When I lived in Southsea I used to first check which way the current was running then fish the opposite side of the blocks but close as possible.

thebigbassman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by thebigbassman »

eccles wrote:Try near the blocks Fitzy but watch the current as it may take your rig actually into the blocks if it is running fast and you don't want to get snagged. When I lived in Southsea I used to first check which way the current was running then fish the opposite side of the blocks but close as possible.
you've never caught a fish in your life eccles :D :D

fitzy

Post by fitzy »

blanked again on friday, not as much as a nibble.
it was very windy & sea was a bit rough, used limpets. thats 4 times since starting sea fishing, we are starting to wonder if we are doing it wright. it would be nice to catch something no matter what size just to see something on the line. has anyone got any ideas for this area.
cheers jim.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

It's not you mate, it's the time of year which I call the "dead zone", which lasts from about the second week of January through 'til almost the end of March. There is still a bit of action around Dungeness but in the Solent very little. Basically it's because many fish disappear off to warmer waters, go deep to breed or lie doggo until the water starts to warm up. First fish to come back are usually plaice sometime in March but they are quite thin and hardly worth bothering with until they have been around a few weeks. The bigger bass usually start to turn up in April followed shortly thereafter by the bream. Best plan is to go out on a nice day to get a bit of casting practice otherwise stay home and do the garden and painting - that's what I do LOL.

fitzy

Post by fitzy »

cheers for eccles,it will be a couple for weeks before we go again but still enjoy just getting down to the coast & wetting a line.
cheers jim

thebigbassman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by thebigbassman »

eccles is right mate, but try estuaries my fish pretty decent after the fresh water goes