Suitable reel question

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

simmel

Suitable reel question

Post by simmel »

Not strictly sea fishing but still.
I will be paying another visit to the UK in May/June this year (south Coast Lymington Portsmouth Chichester), its not strictly a fishing holiday, but I hope to get a few day's in. Because of restrictions with luggage I will only be taking my 9ft 6” telescopic spinning rod with me, the problem I have is with reels. The only fixed spool ones I have are quite small, and only suitable for fresh water course fishing holding lines of about 2-4 pounds. As I would like to do a bit of Pike fishing on some of the small lakes in the area, coupled with some Bass fishing on the coast, what would be a suitable reel and line for this work. I can only take one.

Simmel.

MadKev
Occasional
Occasional

Reel question

Post by MadKev »

1. Due to security issues with fishing line on aircraft (yes, really) you might consider picking up a reel from a tackle shop here and having it loaded with line as part of the deal. New multipliers take a bit of setting up, you may want to go the fixed-spool route. Reel size needs to hold 200yd of 12lb monofil line, you'd pick one up for less than £20. £5-worth of tapered leaders will help, knot the 12lb line to the 15/16lb end of the leader, it tapers to 60-70lb, then you can power-cast for the bass or remove the leader for the pike. There must be over a dozen good reliable shops in the area you describe. If you like the reel, strip the line before taking it home, if not maybe the shop will buy it back? MK

simmel

Post by simmel »

I normally go fly fishing when in the UK (both inland and on the coast), but only when I have lots of time. I have never had any problem with my tackle when flying, my rods usually go into a long fishing bag which I check in as abnormal baggage, and the reels and other stuff (complete with line), go into my normal check-in luggage.
Are you correct with your leader info, I can see the need of a heavy leader, but how can it "taper" from 15/16lb to 60-70lbs :?: Also with a larger type fixed spool reel (spinning Reel), is there any significant advantage with having a "bait-runner" facility when ledgering. I have never used one so I don't know.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

I think I can get you an Okuma Pro 365 reel which hold around 200 metres of 9 kg line for about 30 euro's if you want friend. I live on Hayling Island which is roughly half way between Portsmouth and Chichester. This is is the fixed spool reel which I use for most of my beach fishing, it is well made and smooth to use.

simmel

Post by simmel »

eccles

Thanks for the offer, it was very kind mate, but I will be down around the New forest, Lymington area for the first week and will need the reel there. also I would like if poss, a bait runner for the the pike and carp fishing I hope to do, and hopefully it will also perform on the Bass as well. I only have two weeks to fit it all in, as well as travelling around with the wife not to mention the drinking bit. But I will I hope be at Hayling some time around the 7-8th of June when I'm staying with a mate in Emsworth, provided the tides are right.