Spinning Rod / Reel Combination ?

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater

Spinning Rod / Reel Combination ?

Post by mrix » Tue May 23, 2017 1:11 pm

Hello all, having spent a fair amount of time upgrading the forum software and looking back through countless old posts / topics it has giving me the erg to get back into some sea fishing this year ::g
I spend a lot of my time walking these days to keep healthy so the idea of some light spinning gear sounds just the job B-)
What is known to be a really good spinning rod ? and also reel combination ? no budget cap as I want to treat myself.
Thanks all
mrix

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Re: Spinning Rod / Reel Combination ?

Post by eccles » Tue May 23, 2017 1:48 pm

When I go spinning I use a 9' 6" uptide rod and of course a suitable fixed spool reel. I would suggest a Daiwa Reel as I have found them to be very robust over the years. Some would say that an uptide rod is maybe a bit heavy but I have not found it so. It has enough power to cast a fair distance and enough grunt to handle something heavyish should you encounter say a large bass. Thus using a one ounce ball with a rubber eel around 18 inches behind it I have often had a decent bass in the harbour entrances on Hayling.

mrix

Post by mrix » Tue May 23, 2017 3:50 pm

eccles wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:48 pm
When I go spinning I use a 9' 6" uptide rod and of course a suitable fixed spool reel. I would suggest a Daiwa Reel as I have found them to be very robust over the years. Some would say that an uptide rod is maybe a bit heavy but I have not found it so. It has enough power to cast a fair distance and enough grunt to handle something heavyish should you encounter say a large bass. Thus using a one ounce ball with a rubber eel around 18 inches behind it I have often had a decent bass in the harbour entrances on Hayling.
Hi eccles, my initial idea is to walk along the Hengistbury Head stretch of beach up to the groyne at the end , Mackerel and Bass likely over the next few months and a little later Garfish off the groyne ::g
Regarding the spinning rod I do like the idea of something a little more sturdier so an up-tide rod could well be what I am looking for ::g
Thanks
mrix

mrix

Post by mrix » Sat May 27, 2017 4:29 pm

Well, finally done the deed and parted with a fair amount of cash, having looked at some cheaper gear which would of certainly done the job I decided to opt for something of better quality, a Shimano rod and Penn reel loaded with braid followed by some lures ::g
Thought I would support my local fishing tackle shop " Christchurch Angling Centre " as these places cannot survive on bait sales alone.
Now I just need to plan a trip, hopefully this nice weather will hang in for a while longer ::g
Cheers
mrix

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sat May 27, 2017 5:26 pm

Ah right, now I would advise (in case you don't already know), picking a harbour entrance or estuary at the right state of the tide. E.g. when I lived in Exmouth a few years ago I would cast across the the Exe estuary at low water starting about around 1/2 hour before the turn of the tide. The bass would have to come down to that area at low water because the Exe almost dries out then. It never took me long to pull in a couple of decent size bass and after than I went home because once the tide got going they were back off up the river again. Hope this helps.

mrix

Post by mrix » Sat May 27, 2017 6:12 pm

eccles wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 5:26 pm
Ah right, now I would advise (in case you don't already know), picking a harbour entrance or estuary at the right state of the tide. E.g. when I lived in Exmouth a few years ago I would cast across the the Exe estuary at low water starting about around 1/2 hour before the turn of the tide. The bass would have to come down to that area at low water because the Exe almost dries out then. It never took me long to pull in a couple of decent size bass and after than I went home because once the tide got going they were back off up the river again. Hope this helps.
HI eccles, thanks for that info, I have a similar entrance at Mudeford just out of Christchurch where I live known as the run.
I have seen so many large Bass captured from there over the years but mainly to large baits, will be interesting to have a go on light gear and a lure ::g
My first port of call will be the beach heading up to Hengistbury head then once there off the groyne.
Thanks
mrix