rod and reel advice

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:59 am

Ilurvmatthayes wrote: PS- All rods can be big casters in the right hands.
Not quite true - the cheap "composite" rods will never cast as well as a full carbon job as I discovered several years ago. Of course it is quite important to develop/learn a decent casting style which is what lmh is implying. One of my more recent buddies, despite having a couple of decent beach casters still only manages 60 yds because he hasn't bothered.
Also, with sea angling, every-so-often one hooks a hard fighting fish such as a 12-15lb smoothound. To handle such beasts one must have a rod which is not overly thin in the tip section.

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:28 pm

Ilurvmatthayes wrote:
I dont need to read up the advertising guff thanks- they all say the same- that their rods will cast lead and bait to the horizon. As it is I've looked at it and it's a fair reflection of the rod- Gary Pye's words- "nice soft tip and butt".
I put the link up for the benefit of nthendpompey who asked the question, not yourself.

And if all rods can be big casters, it begs the question of the point of the pricey superrods.

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:38 pm

eccles wrote:
Ilurvmatthayes wrote: PS- All rods can be big casters in the right hands.
Not quite true - the cheap "composite" rods will never cast as well as a full carbon job as I discovered several years ago. Of course it is quite important to develop/learn a decent casting style which is what lmh is implying. One of my more recent buddies, despite having a couple of decent beach casters still only manages 60 yds because he hasn't bothered.
Also, with sea angling, every-so-often one hooks a hard fighting fish such as a 12-15lb smoothound. To handle such beasts one must have a rod which is not overly thin in the tip section.
I've seen kids casting well over 100 yds on the casting field with very basic set-ups. You're right Eccles technique being more important than the rod itself is exactly what I was getting at.

I dont claim to be an expert on rods but i'm not sure the softness of tip is necessarily a hinderance. Spinning rods are capable of landing big fish nad have thin tips. I've seen 12lb cod being landed using a flick tip which has a very thin tip-similarly an older rod like the Zziplex 4500 HPM has a thin tip but is capable of landing big fish although i wouldnt suggest going rock fishing with these rods where yes i agree stiff tips are helpful to bully your way through kelp for example.
Last edited by Ilurvmatthayes on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:46 pm

Iknowagoodplaice wrote:
Ilurvmatthayes wrote:
I dont need to read up the advertising guff thanks- they all say the same- that their rods will cast lead and bait to the horizon. As it is I've looked at it and it's a fair reflection of the rod- Gary Pye's words- "nice soft tip and butt".
I put the link up for the benefit of nthendpompey who asked the question, not yourself.

And if all rods can be big casters, it begs the question of the point of the pricey superrods.
oh- sorry if I misunderstood your post- it seemed to be in response to mine when you mentioned opinions about it not being stiff- My mistake.

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:44 pm

cheers guys for your comments.as supercasts were my choice of rods,but the offer on first refusal of the ttsm,is a bargin.agree both rods cast well and are easy to cast with,no matter what style.but as already said,the ttsm is vfm.
the distance of cast side of comment is this.as mention i fish two main areas one requires a decent cast the other dosent,.but when that full moon shines on a clear nite,it good to be able to hit some distance to find the fish.,i can always short cast on cloundy nite.
casting style determines the distance you cast.but with a rod that compresses at the right point will aid distance..
looking forward to getting my new set up ,no matter which one .
mick.

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:34 pm

after chasing rods on fleebay this week,and missing out on a bargin or two,iam now purchasing a pair of supercasts and a 6500hi speed and 7ht.the reels will pair up with my existing reels.gone for the 13ft rods.
mick

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:53 am

I'm sure you will do well with them mate especially if you have a good casting style.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:33 am

eccles wrote: especially if you have a good casting style.
That's him knackered then :))

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:44 am

flattiefanatic wrote:
eccles wrote: especially if you have a good casting style.
That's him knackered then :))
How cruel :D , but seriously though, even a simple otg cast should get him out at least 80 yds.