rod and reel advice

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

rod and reel advice

Post by nthendpompey » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:57 pm

looking at matching a pair of daiwa supercasts with a pair of penn 515 mags or daiwa sandstorms with a abu mag hi speed
mick

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:34 pm

Tried a sandstorm a while back - bit too floppy in the tip section for my liking but each to his own. The supercasts are the complete opposite (quite stiff) but can deliver a cracking cast in the right hands. Then again you could go for something between the two like my 14 ft Abu Hellbenders - you are welcome to have a look/try if you like mate and I know an outfit which is currently offering them for a phenomenal price.
Can't comment on reels because doing so much night fishing means I always use FS reels.

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:05 pm

since posting,ive heard sandstorms are a bit floppy think i will be heading towards the super casts and matched with abu 6500 hi-speed.
whilst on the subject of new rods,views please of the sonik3 mmulti range

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:55 am

Supercasts are the ones mate. They were the ones i had if you can remember ;)

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:37 am

The Mark One Paul Kerry Super cast is the one that you want, they were far better than those produced today.
cheers
keith :D :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:12 am

......and the VW Golf mark 1 was far better than the Golf they produce today :D :D

MikeO

Post by MikeO » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:00 pm

I'd recommend the Supercasts Mick. I've had a pair for about a year now and they've been excellent. I've got the fixed spool version rated up to 8oz and they easily cast a 7oz pennel of the ground style loaded with bait.

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:10 pm

flattiefanatic wrote:Supercasts are the ones mate. They were the ones i had if you can remember ;)
they seemed to cast well with min effort stu if i rember right.
the supercasts have the nod now.and going to match them with a pair of abu premier mag cts and also going to get a 7ht to pair up with my other ht.this way i think i get the best of both worlds.7hts work well with my salt mv 12ft,which is ideal for my summer fishing,also ,have you notice ,ive got to purchase another mv :D .
and the supercast match with the new abu mags will ,with a bit more tution will enable me to hit better distances.
ive based my buying on the two areas i fish.local and chesil.
local i beleive you dont need to cast distances if you time your tides and arrival right.chesil is a wee bit differant.yes you can catch at shorter distance,but to hit the clay ground which hold the plaice and sole you need a bit of distance.
mick

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:46 pm

just been offered first refusal on a pair of century ttsm for 300quid .used but not alot ,still a bargin me thinks.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:37 am

Sorry to be a killjoy but why invest that kind of money in two rods? Unless you can hit a constant 150yds plus then its money down the drain. Dont get me wrong, we have all been there. I remember buying a 16ft 8in Shakespeare K2 only to find that it was a complete waste of time and ended up giving it as a prize a one of the Holyhead comps. Find a rod that suits you and stick to it. Best of luck in your search.

Just one last thing is to ask yourself why the owner of the two rods are selling them presumably at a loss of course ( is it perhaps that they dont suit his style of casting)?
Cheers
keith :D :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:10 am

I tend to agree with rabbi2 and would not buy anything bigger than 14ft although I am not familiar with those Centurys. Classic example was my neighbour and good fishing buddy who had not done beach fishing for 20 years: Before talking to me he went out and spent a large pile of dough on a rod which was something over 16 ft long. That was a big mistake - it is far too heavy and casts like a telegraph pole, he has regretted it ever since.
He still uses it but does it catch any more fish?, well of course it doesn't.
Just another comment (only trying to help mate) - Neil MacKellow came here about four years ago to show us a few casting tips - the rod he used was just over 13 ft and he wacked a six ounce lead out over 200 yds.

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:41 am

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:30 pm

TTSM's are not stiff rods- They're an easy rod to cast - I've used TTSM and Supercast rods and both are good rods that will last you years but in terms of VFM I'd go for the 2nd hand TTSM's assuming theyre in good condition- not least because at that price you'd be abel to shift them on and get your money back if you wanted to.

Make sure there's plenty of life in the joint and no damage before parting with your well earned though.

Whatever you choose they're both good rods.

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:51 pm

A matter of opinion I suppose. You might like to look the rod up
http://www.centurysea.co.uk/sea-rods/ti ... per-match/

Sounds like a big caster to me. A case of what suits you best.

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:30 pm

Iknowagoodplaice wrote:A matter of opinion I suppose. You might like to look the rod up
http://www.centurysea.co.uk/sea-rods/ti ... per-match/

Sounds like a big caster to me. A case of what suits you best.
Yes it is and my opinion is based on the fact that I own a TTSM and have used it regularly for years - step up to something like a Century TTR or WR 300 and you're talking stiffer casting poles - TTSM's are not.

I dont need to read up the advertising guff thanks- they all say the same- that their rods will cast lead and bait to the horizon. As it is I've looked at it and it's a fair reflection of the rod- Gary Pye's words- "nice soft tip and butt".

There are two further reviews of the TTSM by other members that have actually used the rod in the reviews section.

http://sea-fishing.org/reviews-32.html

I'm not saying one rod is better than the other- they're both smashing rods that are easy to cast- my point was that in terms of resale value the TTSM's offer better value if theyre in good nick.

PS- All rods can be big casters in the right hands.