Last Night at Hayling

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Last Night at Hayling

Post by eccles » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:20 pm

So Big Dave and I head down to Eastoke armed with squid and mack to see what's about as it was a nice evening and not cold. I am thinking cod, hence the squid, but know that the whiting will be trying their raiding tactics too. It was a big tide at around 11pm so there really ought to be something about didn't there? Anyway we both had a few whiting as expected but not anywhere near as many as last year at the same time - is the water still too warm perhaps? None were of them really big enough to take home and by 11.15 I am thinking still no cod, doh but one rod suddenly bangs over and I start the wrestle knowing full well that cod don't charge about in the surf like this. Yes you're right, eventually I haul in the best bass I have seen for weeks who has grabbed the chunk of squid attached to my size 2/0 hook, proving once again that you don't peeler or some elaborate cocktail to catch a hungry bass.
Packed up at 12.30 because the bites had dropped off considerably by then as usual as the current came to a halt.
Do other folk realise that bites are often considerably reduced once the tidal current stops? This is almost certainly because the scent of the bait is no longer travelling through the water.

castman
Regular
Regular

Post by castman » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:00 pm

Well done on the whiting and a nice bass mate.....you the man. I'm heading to eastney Saturday evening, whats a good spot mate.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:09 am

Haven't done Eastney for ages but I would go in front of the caravan site. Park in the free park in front of Fort Cumberland, walk through to the beach by the little foot path alongside the caravan site then walk about 50 yds or so west. Tide is a bit late though - 1.30 in the morning, past my bed time LOL.

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:04 pm

nice evenings fishing there mate.yep totally agree with you on the scent theory.needs that current to move the scent along to attract them fishes.
by the way ,how big was the bass ?
mick.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:45 am

nthendpompey wrote: by the way ,how big was the bass ?
mick.
Not sure as I didn't weigh it, maybe 3 - 4 lbs. Was having a chat with Paul in Paiges a week or two ago, apparently he has never yet had a double figure bass in 25 years fishing. Neither have I in about 14 years serious fishing, not sure what I would do if I had one, probably put it back.

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:23 pm

Personally I don't believe double-figure bass exist. Just another tall story, like cod and plaice.

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:07 pm

eccles wrote:
nthendpompey wrote: by the way ,how big was the bass ?
mick.
Not sure as I didn't weigh it, maybe 3 - 4 lbs. Was having a chat with Paul in Paiges a week or two ago, apparently he has never yet had a double figure bass in 25 years fishing. Neither have I in about 14 years serious fishing, not sure what I would do if I had one, probably put it back.
think i would be with you on that one eccles,fight another day and too big for the oven :D .havent had a decent size bass for a few years.last one was on fly gear weighing in at around 3 1/2lb.
just out of interest rich,how long do you think the bass are hanging around now.we know they are in the harbours which we along the south coast are blessed with.but on the open beaches,still catch up to xmas .
mick[/img]

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:46 pm

Depends on water temperature. In a mild winter I have had them well into December and a few years ago someone had a 10lber in Pompey harbour in January! At the moment it's still quite warm fortunately but if we have a cold snap for a few days, they will be gone.

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:25 pm

in our area ,pompey harbour,langstone ,chi harbour.
nursery areas.so young bass are growing in our harbours.so that must mean bass are spawninig in our area ,so big bass will be around for best part of year.or am i wrong.
mick

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:23 pm

As if by magic- 19lb 13 oz bass caught at Portsmouth last night. Even better it was caught using a shakey rod & reel combo thus proving fish dont prefer zziplex rods

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:42 pm

Zziplex? Can anyone afford them in this day and age? Why spend all that dosh when you can get a perfectly adequate beach caster from Abu or Daiwa.