giving hayling a go thurs or fri...

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

mikee75

giving hayling a go thurs or fri...

Post by mikee75 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:58 pm

well i have decided its time to get the rods out!! gonna give the island a go, has always been good to me in the past but am i pushing my luck this time lol,
looks like good tides, its goin to be thurs or fri nite due to it being BH weekend and i need to have some time with the family........ has anyone had much or heard of any half decent reports for the area? eccles if you see this what are your thoughts??
cheers all n tight lines mikee

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:56 am

Hi Mikee have not been out for awhile so dont know how its fishing,would of come and join you but I'am out on a boat from Langstone bank holiday Monday so would be pushing my luck with missus.Tight lines m8

DAZ :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:05 am

In theory the water is almost warm enough for bass but it seems we are to have a short cold snap which could put them off again. I may have a bash Friday or Saturday night as the tides are big just to see what's out there but I am not counting my chickens. Usually I don't expect anything much until later in the month. Have I done a session lately? Well no because having tried for plaice a few times and got nothing I gave up about a week ago.

fishtitus
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fishtitus » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:34 pm

Plenty of bass in the harbours at present,most small but sport all the same.
More productive at night from the shore.The seafront will be pretty hit and miss though.
Good luck if you go....

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:52 pm

Well, there probably are one or two schoolies around fishtitus but I'm afraid I get bored stiff with them after I have hauled the fourth one up the beach. Perhaps I am getting old but I just can't work up any enthusiasm these days for anything under 2lb.

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:58 pm

totally agree eccles,wait another month and the bigger ones will show,hopefully a few smuts of size around too.
although a few species have showed early .they are of no size.heard of reports in the boats of 20-30 plaice in a session but only 1-3keepers.same on the beaches,loads of small plaice ,but lucky if anything over 30cms.

fishtitus
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fishtitus » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:43 pm

eccles wrote:Well, there probably are one or two schoolies around fishtitus but I'm afraid I get bored stiff with them after I have hauled the fourth one up the beach. Perhaps I am getting old but I just can't work up any enthusiasm these days for anything under 2lb.
How many fish over 2lb do you catch?not many I can imagine.How many 2lb dabs have you caught?after all you always bang on about them.
You carry on riding up and down that beach giving people useless information.If its not constructive,don't bother posting.

mikee75

Post by mikee75 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:01 pm

cheers for the advice all, all is pretty constructive in my view. If i was a specimen hunter as i know a few of you are then i would find the advice great, i am out for any sport available even if i blank, to be honest im happy just destressing and being on the beach for a nite. It is good to know what is happening from any ones point of view, but this is a friendly forum, and if a post is placed then any ones views are appreciated.
I dont see any reason to make uncalled for remarks or play ground type antics. lets keep it friendly!!
thanks to all for the advice as i said, all has helped me to plan for my nite...
regards and tight lines
mikee

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:45 pm

fishtitus wrote:
eccles wrote:Well, there probably are one or two schoolies around fishtitus but I'm afraid I get bored stiff with them after I have hauled the fourth one up the beach. Perhaps I am getting old but I just can't work up any enthusiasm these days for anything under 2lb.
How many fish over 2lb do you catch?not many I can imagine.How many 2lb dabs have you caught?after all you always bang on about them.
You carry on riding up and down that beach giving people useless information.If its not constructive,don't bother posting.
Fishtitus is making a fair point-" one or two schoolies around" but Eccs is bored stiff of hauling the fourth one up the beach-last time I read Eccs wasnt bothering so I'm not surprised Fishtitus posted as he did- I cant remember the last fish I caught above 2 lb but maybe I go to all the wrong places, use the wrong bait, wrong rigs, etc etc

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:07 pm

totally agree with you there mikee 75.there is no need to dismiss eccles advice.

i find most of eccles posts are very constructive,one or two ,to make a point.when he rides the beach and gives people conditions of the surf and weed situiation so to make anglers to make their mind up weather to fish or not,they are grateful.
as to riding up and down the beach giving useless info ,there are a few members on this site that welcome that advice.

the site is loosing members and i think coments like these dont help.as fishing becomes harder, we as much advice as we can get
fish over 2lb,try near 4lb plaice bass to double figures,not one offs.
please think before you post.
mick

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:22 pm

I also have to say that eccles has helped me alot and also saved me a few trips to hayling that would of been a waste of petrol and time.When joining a forum you have to understand you will have a different opinion from members,which if you take into consideration you can weight up each and come to your own interperitation.We all have something in common FISHING so lets try help each other and keep or mind open to other people's opinions.

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL DAZ :D :D
Last edited by wannacatch1 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:23 pm

Mick et al- can you actually tell me what it was about Fishtitus' original post that justified eccles sarky and arrogant response - we can't all be expert specimen anglers like eccles and have to make do with the fish we can catch.

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:45 pm

i didnt find eccles post sarky or arrogant,i cant say why eccles posted that comment.all i could see was information past on ..as eccles said ,maybe he is getting a bit too old for sitting on the beach catching anything thats
passing by fair play.
eccles has lived on the island for a number of years now and provides a great deal of info to this forum on the hayling scene.you dont have to take his advice,but 9 out of 10 its correct.
as to reasons for members leaving the site ,it cant help when retired folf ,or any of us ,try and help and they get slated for it.
this is a fishing forum offering advice and banter,not a boys club.when the advice goes right ,fine .but it goes wrong heaven help.
ther are fish to catch out there ,lets spend more time catching them then moaning at members .
mick

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:40 am

Sorry if I caused any offence which was not my intention. I am well aware that a 2lb dab is a rarity but how about a 2.5 lb Dover Sole? I took one on Hayling before Christmas where some folk say it's not possible to catch them.
I have also taken loads of bass in the 4 - 7 lb range, smuts in the same range and of course the ubiquitous black bream which will be here in about another month or so.
No I do not know it all and am still learning but I have fished Hayling for over 10 years so I know a bit. I just wanted to say that catching school bass over and over all of which have to be dealt with and returned can get a bit boring when one has a session of anything up to 20 of them which I have done many times.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:11 am

I can see points from all sides on this occasion. My point of view with this time of year is that i would rather have some fun with smaller bass in the harbours than blank on the front. And of course they all wont be small bass and there will be some bigger ones amongst them. 2lb bass can be caught any time of year summer or winter. Misconceptions that the bigger bass leave our shores and harbours in the colder months are spread always when the fishing is hard. Water craft plays a big part in most areas to locate those feeding areas in certain states of the tide. Plus if you are fishing from harbours, rag worm and crab will be your top baits. A great spot to try for bass this time of the year and onwards if anyone wants to give it a go would be rat island(whale island). There is a causeway underneath the bridge which you can walk across at low water. Some good bass can be had from here and peeler and rag will score well. Dont forget though it is tidal access only so you will be stuck over there for a few hours ;)