New Rods??? decisions decisions

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:23 am

just to throw the cat amongst the pigeon, have a look at the ian golds range.
i bought the super match extra and i kinda liked it but at 14ft 10 it was too long for me. i swapped it a few months ago for the international match and all i can say it wow, what a rod. i genuinly dont think you will get a better rod for anywhere near the same money. i have a century ttsm and the goldsie is 1st out of the bag everytime now. if i was to critisize it in any way it would be that the handle on the fixed spool version doesnt have shrink tube, it looks well but for me, it just doesnt feel right and im considering putting some on. an easy job and cheap job. you are looking for a multi rod so it wouldnt affect you as the multi has shrink tube and coasters.
i used mine the other night t a comp and was flicking 2oz leads with 3 hook flappers with maddies and altho its not the ideal fishing for this rod, it was able for it with my solitary rockling registering on the tip. i often use it at a spot where 6oz and as much distance as possible is needed and ive never had a problem. it feels better with 5oz but more than capable with the 6 and probably even 7oz.
have a look at these rods before you buy, you wont be dissapointed.

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:55 am

I've heard the Golds rods were zziplex blanks- don't know if it's true or not

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:33 am

Metalmark wrote:
Am really grateful for everyones input here and to be honest am still not sure which way to go??? I currently use a Penn Powerstix Pro, which is ok but doesnt feel quite right (if that makes sense)? when i first started sea angling years ago i used a (new at the time) Diawa Moonraker... the old brown with green whipping which i could really lob out a fair distance.... also to bear in mind i am not experienced in the art of the pendulum cast just yet but will be having a few hours with a casting instructor soon
Cheers all

Mark
I think it is perhaps almost pointless to ask for advice about rods here. People tend to puff the rods they use. Given your level of experience, I would say rods like the Zziplexes are beyond what you want because they are stiffer and require good technique to make work, and even then may be unsuitable for the kind of fishing you mostly do.

I would decide the price level you want to buy at, the cheaper models or the midrange, then see what your local tackle shop has to offer. Even the decent cheap rods cast pretty well. I have a cheapy and a supercast, and the latter is good, though I have little experience of other rods as comparison. John Holden recommends supercasts, and for my money he strikes me as one of the few experts who can offer a sound reason for doing so. But he also says many cheap rods are perfectly capable.

Although my experience of beachcasters is limited, I have a lot more with fly rods, and have found that hype around fishing rods is often nothing more than that. You're unlikely to go wrong by choosing a rod from one of several tried and tested models. Unfortunately there are not many opportunities to try before you buy with beach rods.

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:46 am

Ilurvmatthayes wrote:I've heard the Golds rods were zziplex blanks- don't know if it's true or not
ive heard that too but cant imagine it being true, ive also heard they were daiwa balnks and that they were blanks imported from china. where exactly they do come from i dont know, but they are good.

another rumour going round is that the golds rods that are already made are gonna be sold off and finished with and the same blanks but with different eyes are being built and are gonna be sold as daiwas higher end rods with a higher end price tag.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:55 am

Iknowagoodplaice wrote:
I think it is perhaps almost pointless to ask for advice about rods here. People tend to puff the rods they use.
Not pointless at all. I would rather get opinions from anglers that have used the rods themselves rather than a tackle shop telling me what i need to buy.

If you know any local anglers ask to go out with them and try a cast of there rods. Im sure they will be happy to oblige ;)

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:20 pm

Well, mark did say he still wasn't sure, and when a dozen or so rods are recommended, how does one make a choice? Perhaps different if one or two rods come to the fore. A good tackle shop should give reasonable advice - but it will depend on the shop - and there's a chance to at least pick them up and admire the livery.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:34 pm

Iknowagoodplaice wrote:Well, mark did say he still wasn't sure, and when a dozen or so rods are recommended, how does one make a choice?
flattiefanatic wrote: If you know any local anglers ask to go out with them and try a cast of there rods. Im sure they will be happy to oblige ;)
Im sure if he puts a post on wanting to try a beach caster most members close by would oblige ;)

markemark
Occasional
Occasional

Post by markemark » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:45 pm

Metalmark
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Metalmark » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:59 pm

flattiefanatic wrote:
Iknowagoodplaice wrote:Well, mark did say he still wasn't sure, and when a dozen or so rods are recommended, how does one make a choice?
flattiefanatic wrote: If you know any local anglers ask to go out with them and try a cast of there rods. Im sure they will be happy to oblige ;)
Im sure if he puts a post on wanting to try a beach caster most members close by would oblige ;)
The idea for asking advice is purely because as has been mentioned tackle dealers DO NOT let us anglers try b4 we buy! unfortunatel!!! perhaps someone out there should have a "Casting range" to let us handle the rods and chuck out a few leads just to get the initia feel of the rods on sale?

I welcome the thoughts of all, especially thse that are using the rods they recommend (especially as these people have probably either had, tried or knows someone who does use the rod in question). I also appreciate that everybody has their own opinions. which is why i am researching this fully to be able to buy the best rod for the money that i can Ill afford during these hard times.

But please keep the recommendations, and debates coming as i fid it very valuable advice.

Best regards

Mark :)

markemark
Occasional
Occasional

Post by markemark » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:05 pm

Metalmark
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Metalmark » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:12 pm