Occasional
Occasional

New Rods??? decisions decisions

Post by Metalmark » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:13 pm

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:39 pm

3rd choice for me any time. The best rod i have owned was a supercast ;)

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:09 pm

Have to agree with FF that the Supercast is a very nice rod for the money but I am still very happy with my Abu Hellbenders which are a tad lighter but still plenty strong enough.

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:39 pm

I have a daiwa supercast and would now only buy daiwa,great value. ;)

DAZ B-)

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:05 pm

All three rods are good, easy to use and reasonably priced.

I've seen this guy cast his SK4 at a tournament - hits it seriously hard and goes a long way.

best thing to do is try before you buy if you can.

markemark
Occasional
Occasional

Post by markemark » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:33 pm

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:19 pm

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:57 am

Interesting except that in the Solent area one doesn't often need to cast a bait to the horizon. Occasionally it can be necessary to do 100-140 yds if hunting plaice in daytime for example, but all of these rods can achieve that if you know what you are doing. As it begins to get dark, an awful lot of fish get taken in the 40-70 yd range in my experience; making it completely unecessary to spend mega bucks on very posh rods.

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:20 am

Not sure it's helpful to go down the cheap rod vs dear rod debate route- it nearly always ends in tears.

Also, the OP said he goes fishing between Brighton and Weymouth- there are some venues along that coast where long distance casting can be an advantage.
Last edited by Ilurvmatthayes on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:52 am

Most rods can cast to the horizon. It's the skill of the angler more than the rod ;)

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:04 pm

flattiefanatic wrote:Most rods can cast to the horizon. It's the skill of the angler more than the rod ;)
Fair point well made

markemark
Occasional
Occasional

Post by markemark » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:11 pm

Most rods can cast to the horizon. It's the skill of the angler more than the rod

I have to dissagree there FF. You get what you pay for? I used to own a couple of Abu Esprit's (first rods) and although they were really good rods as i got better at fishing and casting i found i could not any more out of the rods and had to go to the next level. I have not been fishing that long (4 years) but if i was starting over again i would spend good cash on a rod that will last a lifetime and not one that you will want to replace in a couple of years cos you see the guy next to you on the beach with a zzipie and you get rod envy :((

I have used my HSM and TTSM all over the country and they never fail me.

Just my oppinion so please dont hang me :D

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:37 pm

Everyone is entitled to there opinion. But the only thing i would say is use the rod you are comfortable with. Just because a rod has a great name on it like Zziplex or century does not mean it is the rod for you. Many people go out and buy these rods just to be a tackle tart and dont look at the bigger picture. Be honest how many people have brought the rod just on name to be disappointed and resell it. I know i have with a Century tt match ;).

The supercast 13pm i brought second hand and loved it to bits(in a casting way ;) ) So much so i brought an identicle one with 2 abu reels(thats me being a tackle tart 2 matching rods and reels) but they were the perfect match for me ;)

Just to add the supercast has a max distance of about 220 yards! Do you need to cast further than that?

Metalmark
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Metalmark » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:47 am

flattiefanatic wrote:Everyone is entitled to there opinion. But the only thing i would say is use the rod you are comfortable with. Just because a rod has a great name on it like Zziplex or century does not mean it is the rod for you. Many people go out and buy these rods just to be a tackle tart and dont look at the bigger picture. Be honest how many people have brought the rod just on name to be disappointed and resell it. I know i have with a Century tt match ;).

The supercast 13pm i brought second hand and loved it to bits(in a casting way ;) ) So much so i brought an identicle one with 2 abu reels(thats me being a tackle tart 2 matching rods and reels) but they were the perfect match for me ;)

Just to add the supercast has a max distance of about 220 yards! Do you need to cast further than that?
Am really grateful for everyones input here and to be honest am still not sure which way to go??? I currently use a Penn Powerstix Pro, which is ok but doesnt feel quite right (if that makes sense)? when i first started sea angling years ago i used a (new at the time) Diawa Moonraker... the old brown with green whipping which i could really lob out a fair distance.... also to bear in mind i am not experienced in the art of the pendulum cast just yet but will be having a few hours with a casting instructor soon... i have also just started usin an abu mag c3 premium which i love as with the settings just right i dont have many problems using! so i would like a rod that together with my multi i can practice the pendulum and gain some respectable distances (when needed). I am not a tackle tart by any stretch of the imagination but do require rods that look as good as they perform!

Cheers all

Mark

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:08 am