Stokes Bay 01/11/11

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

Yakdiver
Regular
Regular

Stokes Bay 01/11/11

Post by Yakdiver »

Fished Stokes Bay last night from low water 9pm to high 3am, nothing at all had plenty of bites but it was crabs I'm sure it was, very disappointing,. Another guy fishing just up from me about 200 yards away had loads of fish small bass and reasonable whiting or so he said, he went on to say that I was over casting at 150 yard as he was getting them close in, oh well there's always tomorrow/next week

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Well hard cheese mate but I have to agree with the the other fella, once it gets dark 50 - 70 yds is about right.

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

As a matter of interest, how did you know you were casting 150 yds in darkness? Usual distance full blast?

Yakdiver
Regular
Regular

Post by Yakdiver »

Iknowagoodplaice wrote:As a matter of interest, how did you know you were casting 150 yds in darkness? Usual distance full blast?
Circumference of reel * handle turns = 40.5 inches
count handle turns on retrieve = 130 approx
40.5 * 130 / 36 = 146 yd
it's a very very rough calculation and will be slightly lower than it is due to line going down

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic »

Always vary your distance. Normally if using 2 rods i will have one close and one out as far as i can cast. Stokes bay requires very little distance as do most venues as the fish get a lot braver once darkness sets in ;)

Keeping this on topic unlucky on the lack of fish m8y and better luck next time ;)