Clip down rigs

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

Metalmark
Occasional
Occasional

Clip down rigs

Post by Metalmark » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:08 pm

Somebody might be able to point out quite easily what i am doing wrong but everytime i try to use a clip down rig it always stays clipped when i retrieve it????

Help please what am i doing wrong???

Mark :(

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:43 pm

A few questions:

What kind of rig are you using- e.g. loop rig or a clipped rig with all hooks above the lead.

Are you using cascade swivels?

What kind of release link are you using- e.g. Imp, breakaway impact lead or impact shield?

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Re: Clip down rigs

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:38 pm

Metalmark wrote:Somebody might be able to point out quite easily what i am doing wrong but everytime i try to use a clip down rig it always stays clipped when i retrieve it????

Chances are your snoods are clipped too tight, and the clips have no freedom to move. Some are supposed to swivel on impact and release, but tight snoods might prevent this. I tend to use paper clips held on with rubber tube. These move up the line with pressure of cast or impact with water and generally release cleanly.

Try putting a little slack into clipped snoods on your rig. Incidentally, I reckon that the more complicated the rig - cascade swivels etc etc - the more opportunity there is for things to go wrong.

Also make sure your line is slack after lead lands ie, don't tighten until lead hits the seabed.

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Re: Clip down rigs

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:23 pm

Iknowagoodplaice wrote:
Metalmark wrote:Somebody might be able to point out quite easily what i am doing wrong but everytime i try to use a clip down rig it always stays clipped when i retrieve it????

Chances are your snoods are clipped too tight, and the clips have no freedom to move. Some are supposed to swivel on impact and release, but tight snoods might prevent this. I tend to use paper clips held on with rubber tube. These move up the line with pressure of cast or impact with water and generally release cleanly.

Try putting a little slack into clipped snoods on your rig. Incidentally, I reckon that the more complicated the rig - cascade swivels etc etc - the more opportunity there is for things to go wrong.

Also make sure your line is slack after lead lands ie, don't tighten until lead hits the seabed.
I've never have any problems with cascade swivels not unclipping and cascade swivels do not make rigs complicated. Essentially a cascade swivel is a stronger and more effective version of your paper clip.

bassmanrob
Occasional
Occasional

Post by bassmanrob » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:51 am

Agreed, cascade swivels have become an essential piece of my clip-down rigs. I use breakaway impact leads (which double as a bait clip for the bottom hook and release the hook on splashdown) and also SRT springs. This springs allow the snoods to be clipped down tightly during the cast so they stay clipped. I have never had a clip-down rig made with these components fail to unclip when it hits the water.

Another point to remember is always put a bait-stop on your snoods when using clip-downs. Soft baits like worm will be pushed up the snood during the cast without one.

Metalmark
Occasional
Occasional

Clip down rigs?

Post by Metalmark » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:46 am

Ilurvmatthayes wrote:A few questions:

What kind of rig are you using- e.g. loop rig or a clipped rig with all hooks above the lead. Clipped Rig with hooks aboveAre you using cascade swivels? NO
What kind of release link are you using- e.g. Imp, breakaway impact lead or impact shield?
Impact Shields

Also these tend to be shop bought rigs

Mark,

And thx guys for all the input here

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:08 pm

OK I see- some shop bought rigs aren't all that cop. I'd try making your own rigs along the lines of what bassmanrob has said -

Start with two or three hooks clipped above your lead (nice and simple)- and unless you're using big baits use an imp or an Impact lead instead of an impact shield- use an ordinary swivel for the top snood and cascade swivels for any below it- I use quite short 10" snoodlengths- and as BMrob says don't forget to use a bait stop on the snood or the worm will shoot up the snood on your cast. You can also use an SRT spring on the top snood to set the tension nice.

This rig catches loads of fish for me - especially whiting. The good thing with this rig is you can if you wish unclip them before casting and use them as a flapper rig. This can be handy when you're fishing shallower water.

See the 3 hook clipped rig diagram in the rigs section.

Alternatively build your own bomber rig but I'd use an impact shield for this as you're clipping two baits directly above the lead. Again a diagram is in the rigs section.

To be honest if you practise building these two rigs and maybe a single or pennel clipped down rig for extreme distance you can't go wrong.

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:15 pm

Or alternatively tie a couple of dropper loops and attach snoods to these, and use clips of your choice. Simple and dispenses with all the hardware.

Metalmark
Occasional
Occasional

clip down rigs

Post by Metalmark » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:05 am

many thx guys, I will make up a few of my own in all formats as mentioned and see which ones fish best.

Again many thx to all who have shared their thoughts on this! :)

Mark

dannypanter
Advanced User
Advanced User

release of clip down rigs

Post by dannypanter » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:58 am

Hi Mark

if you are using a clip down rig without SRT springs this will reduce the chance of it becoming unclipped.
What i do is get a pair of pliers and snip the clip on the cascade swivel about half way, this makes sure 100% that it comes unclipped every time yet still remains clipped in flight of the cast.

Danny.