Warsash last night

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

Stiggy

Warsash last night

Post by Stiggy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:59 pm

Hi all,

Popped down to Warsash last night for a bit of Hound bashing (not literally). Arrived at 9.30pm. First high at 1020 Portsmouth. Used hard back crab only although I've been trying to bring them on for over a week, willl save that for another post. Fished till midnight, a short pass from the wife.

Had a couple of Hounds, the best at 11lb, went a bit quiet for the last half hour.

Heard that they are preferring peelers at the moment but I cant find any locally.

Great to get out for a few hours and what great sport fish they are.

Stiggy

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:39 pm

Nice one catching is a bonus good hound their m8.want too know about these crabs. :-O :-O :-O

CHEERS

DAZ

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:13 pm

good catch there stiggy.
the crab that you had may had already peeled,especially if they are males,may be one of the reasons you couldnt bring them on.look for cracks along the edge of the shell or remove a segment of leg to see if there is a new one forming.once found ,speed up the process with warm saltwater or slow down with cool water or fridge,but let the other half know,or you could be in trouble.
have found in past years that there is a second moult towards end of summer,mainly males ,may trying to get a jump start .
mick

Stiggy

Post by Stiggy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:53 am

The crabs,

Well I suppose they have already peeled, the only reason i though i'd be in with a chance is becouse we colledted some crabs a few weeks ago from the same spot for fishing and when we got to the beach about a third of them had the start of a new shell under the back of the hard shell. They where not peeling or looking like they where going to crack at that point but there was defo another shell there.

Not telling the wife, need to buy a fridge for the shed otherwise I'll get a full Boll...ing.

I think I'll try again late spring and in the mean time keep looking for them under rocks. They are hard to find though. Not many about.

Stiggy

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:33 pm

Nice double for that area ;). What was the weed like?

Stiggy

Post by Stiggy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:10 pm

Hey Flattiefanatic,

Weed was fine, I've found that if you fish the stand there its not to bad. Its about but there is not alot of movement at that time of the tide so I think you get away with it.

Fished there last year in July and had 11 hounds between two of use in one session, most in double figures. May pop over week tuedsay and try for some bass, had a small one there a few weeks ago and the river is teaming with them.

uwishjellyfish

Where in Warsaash

Post by uwishjellyfish » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:12 am

Well done mate

Where along Warsash were u fishing-near the hamble river mouth opp refinery or further up river opp calshot?

I fished opp refinery sat nite with carb and didnt get a bite?
Thanks

Stiggy

Post by Stiggy » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:48 pm

Hi uwishjellyfish,

Opposite the refinary, about 75m from where the path comes out.

Was it rough because I've heard Hounds don't like rough weather. The best time is flat calm after a hot day. How long where you there and what bait did you use?

Stiggy

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:05 pm

thats because we like fishing in them conditions,better then fishing in rougth weather.heard of a good session in rougth weather off eaststoke a few weeks back ,1/2 a doz hounds ,a few into big doubles.
if they are hungry enougth , they will feed no matter what the weather .but calm is normally better.

uwishjellyfish

Post by uwishjellyfish » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:48 am

i was fishing approx 30yds to the left of the path so not too far away from where u were.

I fished from bout 9.30pm to 2am-high tide was 1ish-cud of stayed longer but had enough.
Used frozen peeler and live hardback-still no bites-was casting approx70-80yds-was hard with wind straight on..

Sea was pretty calm although i did have wind in my face all nite and horrible smell of oil-haha.

I will try again ..

Stiggy

Post by Stiggy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:23 pm

uwishjellyfish,

Could be distance, fished there a few weeks ago with a friend who couldn't cast very well and he caught nothing whilst we had a few hounds further out, headwinds don't help trying to make a hardback fly. They aint very aerodynamic.

Stiggy

blahblahblah

Post by blahblahblah » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:26 pm

Hi chaps, just a quick one you say from the path. where does the path start? do not know the area at all so help would be appreciated.

would like to try somewhere different been going to hilhead alot...

kind regards

paul :D

Stiggy

Post by Stiggy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:07 pm

Hi Blahblahblah, nice,

Here you go, its Hook park road in Warsash, if you cant find it let me know. You approach over a bridge. Park on your left and walk up to the house on the corner (you cant see it , its on the left of the picture) turn right and follow the path.

Stiggy

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/8462 ... arking.jpg

blahblahblah

Post by blahblahblah » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:32 pm

Thank you Stiggy, i think there was a lik at the bottom of your reply but it did not seem to do anything was it a map?

many thanks

paul

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:04 am

Link will work now ;)