Peeler crab hot spots???

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

kayakfishing

Peeler crab hot spots???

Post by kayakfishing » Sun May 08, 2011 5:27 pm

next week im going to be looking for peeler crab around portmsouth/hayling area, does anyone know of any hot spots in the area??? seem everyones catching on them at the moment

jim79
Regular
Regular

Re: Peeler crab hot spots???

Post by jim79 » Sun May 08, 2011 5:45 pm

kayakfishing wrote:seem everyones catching on them at the moment
exactly why u wont get any serious answers to youre request

but you should find them in the harbours

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey » Sun May 08, 2011 9:19 pm

people go to long lengths to put their peeler traps out.fair play if people cum across them and replace them, but please dont put over the forum where they are .some of the traps could be mine and i dont see why i should put traps out if somebody is going to broadcast where they are .sorry stu i know u r only passing on info ,but general areas is enougth not exact spots .
mick =((
Last edited by nthendpompey on Sun May 15, 2011 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kayakfishing

Post by kayakfishing » Sun May 08, 2011 9:42 pm

traps? first i've heard of traps, you can tell i dont fish with peeler crab. is there much point rumiging round seaweed looking or shguld i invest in some 'traps' cheers

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey » Sun May 08, 2011 9:53 pm

any where there is weed a rocky ground will produce crab.when you find a crab gently pull a rear leg ,if it cums away leaving a inner leg so to speak its ready for pealing.also look for cracks around the back of the shell its easy to bring craon.find the crab, hardbacks,cover in weed and add freash daltwater then drain off crab need the water to expand so popping the shell
tightlines mick.please replace any traps you may find to their original places,keeps everyone happy that way.

kayakfishing

Post by kayakfishing » Sun May 08, 2011 10:13 pm

Thanks very much for The help
I'll be sure to replace any traps,
Cheers

feathers

Post by feathers » Mon May 09, 2011 8:49 am

Once you have found a few & you get used to it you will be able to tell a peller from its colour also, makes it a lot quicker when you collect. Make hay while the sunshines too & freeze some for later in the year.

jim79
Regular
Regular

Post by jim79 » Mon May 09, 2011 10:01 am

and just a heads up , when people talk about crab traps this could be anything from car tyres to lengths of drain pipe , so something that you think may be a piece of litter/fly tip etc may in fact be a carefully placed crab trap

SPLASHASH

Post by SPLASHASH » Mon May 09, 2011 11:10 am

I always go to the rocks at Hill Head wall at low tide. There are always plenty there under the rocks and seaweed plus a few bonus lost lead weights :-)

Went there the other morning at about 5 am had the beach to myself but only found 5 worth keeping. They are now de lunged and in the freezer ready to go when i need them

kayakfishing

Post by kayakfishing » Mon May 09, 2011 4:15 pm

sounds good im hoping emsworth harbour under the weeds and rocks should be alright, only a shore walk anyway. surely freezing the crab would take the fish luring scent away

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Mon May 09, 2011 5:19 pm

kayakfishing wrote:sounds good im hoping emsworth harbour under the weeds and rocks should be alright, only a shore walk anyway. surely freezing the crab would take the fish luring scent away
Freezing it wont hurt the fish luring qualities at all. As the juice is still inside ;). Short term freezing is a must if you have a good crab spot and then your ready for the hounds ;)

kayakfishing

Post by kayakfishing » Mon May 09, 2011 5:42 pm

sounds good, im going to try sandy point at low tide this weekend for hounds!, i blanked last week so hopefully this weekend should make up for it! ;)

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse » Mon May 09, 2011 8:12 pm

be carefull of taking crabs from other peoples traps,. there are horror stories about of lads putting broken glass into tyres to stop people raiding them and ive aslo heard of people getting back to their cars to find windows smashed.
these are extremes tho and dont happen every day but be carefull.

PuddleSplasher

Post by PuddleSplasher » Sun May 15, 2011 6:15 pm

redmouse wrote:be carefull of taking crabs from other peoples traps,. there are horror stories about of lads putting broken glass into tyres to stop people raiding them
All the more reason for using a pair of neoprene gloves :P