gars

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

gars

Post by wannacatch1 »

Anybody have any advice on best way to catch gars from brigthton marina wall had odd one on daylight feathers but any more tricks would be great.

CHEERS

DAZ

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat »

Try float fishing using thin strips of Mackerel bait on small hooks, about size 4 to 2. Great fun, mini Marlin fishing.

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater
www.sea-fishing.org creater

re:

Post by mrix »

Float fishing works very well along with the small hooks as tomcat suggested, Garfish feed close to the surface so make your float trace within just 2 to 4 ft maximum in length.
Cheers
mrix

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi wanacatch
as above float fishing on light gear.ive not done it but have seen loads cought this way at the marina
steve

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 »

Cheers guys will give it ago this weekend on light tackle a bit more fun I would think. As always great advice on this site. ;) :) ;) :)

CHEERS

DAZ

MikeO

Post by MikeO »

Hi Daz, This is actually my first post on this great site but I saw your question and as I know Brighton Marina well I thought it's a good time jump in. I've always found the marina to be at it's most productive for garfish during September, I've had great days in the past catching 15/20 garfish in a session along with Marckeral and Pollock at this time of year, all caught to float fished mackeral, traditionally the advice is to set your float a few feet below the surface but I've always found 7-10 feet has worked for me at the marina depending on the state of the tide. Maybe earlier in the year they are a bit higher in the water so a bit of trial and error might be a good approach. Hope that helps

saintnick

Post by saintnick »

HI MIKE HOW MUCH IS PARKING AT MARINE,AND DO THEY CHARGE FOR FISHING.?????

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 »

MikeO

Post by MikeO »

tensenervoushaddock
Regular
Regular

Post by tensenervoushaddock »

I'd back up what MikeO says...the books say shallow but experience says deeper. I caught three gar on Saturday at Swanage.... all at about 11 feet deep ( the water is only a few feet deeper ) later in the year they, and the mackerel, will be at about 8 or 9 feet.
We quite often use a pop-up bait to catch them close to the bottom.

kayakfishing

Post by kayakfishing »

I had a few off Sandeel on the float the other day, used a 5ft trace and small hooks to get in there beek like mouths, very tasty :)

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 »

HI haddock how does the pop up bait work ie the set up. :-/

CHEERS

DAZ

saintnick

Post by saintnick »

CHEERS DAZ. =D>
might have a look this summer/gar fishing is fun on light gear,went to portland last summer had 5 species on float,what a nite.

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 »

let me know saitnick if venture down that way might beable to hook up (excuse the punn) I do enjoy a day on the wall B-) B-) B-)

DAZ

tensenervoushaddock
Regular
Regular

Post by tensenervoushaddock »

Daz, the pop-up bait is a variation of the running leger...

onto your main line put a snap swivel to clip the weight onto...then tie on another snap swivel to hold the hook-length, that will be about 3 to 4 ft long ...thread a couple of floaty beads or a polystyrene float ( the ones sold to keep baits up out of the way of crabs ) and tie on your hook....then but a float stop or elastic band so that the float can not run right up to the hook and bait... about 4 to 6 inches back from the hook.
the amount of float and length of the trace depends on the tidal flow, you will need to experiment. I use either one or two 3/4" diameter floaty beads or one float that is about the same size as an AA battery.