Town Quay COD

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

faithless

Town Quay COD

Post by faithless »

Decided to take my son fishing for his first saltwater session. arrived at the Quay around 8pm,
We only had rag worm for bait which he didnt want to touch either lol.
by around 9pm we had already caught 7 pout, a small sole and 1 pin whiting. The sky was clear, no wind and the water was like a sheet of glass.
my rod went and i pulled in a good sole around 1.5 lb. My son was impressed. we decided it was coffee time and sat down for a bit , my son said the bites seem to have dropped off a bit, Then his rod went Bang (my rod really ) He grabbed the rod and started reeling in then come to a halt and called me. Dad i cant reel this in. i noticed the rod bending and thought oh a nice Bass maybe, anyway after struggling for ten minutes he finally got the fish up to the top. thankfully the couple fishing next to us had a drop net and managed to scope the fish up.
Can you imagine my surprise when i saw a 6lb cod in the net yes COD.
i think just about everyone on the Quay come for a look. i have fished the Quay for over 30 years and have never seen one landed before. i remember a bloke catching one of around 11lb in the docks around 1984.
we have lots of photos of the Cod but im really not sure how to get them on here so if someone would help i willl post them. carried on fishing until 4.30 and caught a few more pin whiting and pout.
So i think my Son may want to come fishing again soon.

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

nice report and well done to you and espech to your son on the fish
:D but have you thought how to let your son into the secret that they dont always turn up that size best of luck :D :D
steve

cuckoo

Post by cuckoo »

Cracking fish from that mark , couldnt believe it when i saw it , well done that man ;) ive never ever seen one caught from quay :D :D

ohsolazy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by ohsolazy »

...so the gauntlet has been layed for you cuckoo....lol.....its ok pulling out monster sole and fat bass......COD.....yes...COD......lets see you post a pick of one of those... :D
Pick the gauntlet up Cuckoo...
Good luck mate
Cheers
Pete

cuckoo

Post by cuckoo »

ohsolazy wrote:...so the gauntlet has been layed for you cuckoo....lol.....its ok pulling out monster sole and fat bass......COD.....yes...COD......lets see you post a pick of one of those... :D
Good luck mate
Cheers
Pete
Ha ha i should be so lucky :D :D that is a rareity up there and a cracking catch , you could fish there for another 10 years and still not get one ;)

ohsolazy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by ohsolazy »

You know i fish Maggy Lane alot , and i was told of a five pound cod cought there last year , i thought it was a fishermans tale , so who knows whats out there ?
Definatly gunna give the blow and black lug a go ;)
Cheers
Pete

SeaTurtle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by SeaTurtle »

cuckoo wrote:
ohsolazy wrote:...so the gauntlet has been layed for you cuckoo....lol.....its ok pulling out monster sole and fat bass......COD.....yes...COD......lets see you post a pick of one of those... :D
Good luck mate
Cheers
Pete
Ha ha i should be so lucky :D :D that is a rareity up there and a cracking catch , you could fish there for another 10 years and still not get one ;)
You never know Lee ............ there might even be a flounder off there at some point !! ;)

Cheers,

Dave

cuckoo

Post by cuckoo »

SeaTurtle wrote:
cuckoo wrote:
Good luck mate
Cheers
Pete
You never know Lee ............ there might even be a flounder off there at some point !! ;)

Cheers,

Dave
Ive got more chance of catching orca the killer whale , than snagging a flounder dave :D :D