Brief Saturday Session

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

pompeykev
Occasional
Occasional

Brief Saturday Session

Post by pompeykev »

Managed to get down to the W Sussex coast again on Saturday morning to fish the tide up for a few hours. Bought some frozen peeler at Tropicana in Littlehampton and had with me some frozen garfish sections for a decent bass. My brother also had some frozen hermits. There was a fair bit of breeze and some colour in the water so we were hopeful, but bites were few and far between - unlike the weed clumps, though there was a lot less than on my previous visit.

First bite was obviously not the hoped-for smoothie and a half pound bass quickly made its appearance - a bit overmatched by the tackle it was caught on. Then there was nothing until we were about to pack up around 12:30. We had just said that obviously the hounds only make an appearance at the end of the day when my rod got pulled out of the rest by a stormer. Grabbed the rod, tightened up...... but nothing! The hound had dropped the bait - very frustrating to miss the only hound bite of the session, but you can't win them all (and it wasn't quite a blank!).

Tight lines

Kev

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Hard luck mate - why not try the evening tides we are getting later this week? I reckon we could see some interesting stuff once it starts to get dark and you won't need to go all the way to Littlehampton.

pompeykev
Occasional
Occasional

Post by pompeykev »

Fair point! Trouble is, I work in the centre of London a lot of the time so can't get away in time to pick up bait at the coast - and I'm currently out of peelers in the freezer. Poor planning....... :(

Unfortunately, I don't live in Pompey any more (haven't for 20 years) but retain my allegiances - hence the moniker.

Cheers

Kev

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Kevin, I don't mind occasionally picking up a bit of bait from Paiges on Hayling if you want. They always have fresh rag and a selection of frozen stuff and close at 7 pm except Sundays. Just let me know and you can pick it up from my house (assuming you are going to fish Hayling).

pompeykev
Occasional
Occasional

Post by pompeykev »

Eccles.

That's a very kind offer and one that I might just take you up on at some stage. Much appreciated! The tackle shops round me (near Croydon) don't do much sea bait and certainly not frozen peelers! As you say, the evening tides coming up do look tempting......

Cheers

Kev