Moderator: Admin

pompeyjoe
Regular
Regular

Shock leader

Post by pompeyjoe »

Hi all,

This maybe a silly question but here goes anyway

Obviously I know we all have to use shock leader and why but does it actually have to be proper shock leader, or can I just use for example 50IB mono?

Good luck too anyone out tonight >:D<

Cheers

pompeyjoe

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Didn't know there was anything special about it mate, I have always used 50lb mono, preferably a good quality one though which doesn't coil up too much. Personally I have used Okuma Ultramax for years as both mainline and shocker - tough, lasts for ever and seems fairly twist resistance. Look on ebay for a good price.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

It is thought that genuine shockleader has more strecth in it than normal mono but as Eccles said about using normal mono, I have used normal mono for years without any problems.
Cheers
keith :D :D

pompeyjoe
Regular
Regular

Post by pompeyjoe »

Thanks eccles ill use my reel of 50IB then.

Cheers mate :)

pompeyjoe
Regular
Regular

Post by pompeyjoe »

Thanks Keith :D

Dingelberry88

Post by Dingelberry88 »

i realy feel that if you want a good shock leader that you should use the tapered stuff it is amazing.i have not long been introduce to this myself and i will never go back its quite expencive but well worth the money.the biggest advantage is that when fishing a weedy area such as any where on the sout coast you dont get a big build up of weed on the leader knot and with a good join knot any you do get will not cause a single problem.
its about 6.50/7.50 and there are loads of variations,the one i use is Ultima Power flex and it goes from 15lb to 60lb its pre cut to 15meters and there is 5 lenghts.
i realy wish i had seen this befor now and i strongly reccomend at least spending the money and trying it once

beyenyamin

Post by beyenyamin »

Dingelberry88 wrote:i realy feel that if you want a good shock leader that you should use the tapered stuff it is amazing.i have not long been introduce to this myself and i will never go back its quite expencive but well worth the money.the biggest advantage is that when fishing a weedy area such as any where on the sout coast you dont get a big build up of weed on the leader knot and with a good join knot any you do get will not cause a single problem.
its about 6.50/7.50 and there are loads of variations,the one i use is Ultima Power flex and it goes from 15lb to 60lb its pre cut to 15meters and there is 5 lenghts.
i realy wish i had seen this befor now and i strongly reccomend at least spending the money and trying it once
I second that motion

dickyp
Occasional
Occasional

Shockleader

Post by dickyp »

From previous posts, it is recommended that you base your shock leader on the basis of 10lb line to 1 oz weight, therefore if you use a 50ld line you should not exceed a 5oz weight

dickyp

pendulampete

Post by pendulampete »

mulletover
Occasional
Occasional

Post by mulletover »

Same as last two posts.
10x lead is the norm and I use tapered and wouldn't want to go back to those big knots again.

I use powerflex as well and sometimes bullet leaders on 20lb berkeley crystal braid and the knot is virtually non existent.

fridayfishman

Post by fridayfishman »

I have used 80 lb penn dynabraid as shock leader for years with no probs small knot good knot strength doesnt drag in tide

conga
Regular
Regular

Post by conga »

Hi there-I got some Varivas tapered leaders from Veals a while ago-they are 18lb-70lb,13m long and come in fives on the winder,not too expensive either and knot well with a simple blood knot to the mainline.I like the fact that even when using 5oz+bait the 70lb rating still gives a small safety margin,cheers,Mick :D :D

riki_79

Post by riki_79 »

I'm not as keen on the old tapered leaders as everyone else, I used to use them but after reading an article in Total sea fishing, they recon the breaking strain on the leader knot isnt too hot, especially when it's been used a few times.
Admittedly the knots are much smaller and are more manageable but if I get a big bass or cod on I'd be gutted if the knot gave way.
Now I use a 50-60lb leader with a spider hitch knot, attached to 30lb briad which cuts down on the weed effect and I'm more than happy with it and as it's a two stage knot it doesnt seem to catch up as much.
It's all personal preference though.

folky
Occasional
Occasional

Post by folky »

I found that when fishing snaggy areas, normal shockleaders would have a much high chance of breaking out of a snag and getting it back than tapered as the knot is not as strong when you are tieing say 18lbs to 18lbs rather than 18lbs to say 60lbs, granted the knot is bigger but its also stronger.

Boxerman

Post by Boxerman »

folky wrote:I found that when fishing snaggy areas, normal shockleaders would have a much high chance of breaking out of a snag and getting it back than tapered as the knot is not as strong when you are tieing say 18lbs to 18lbs rather than 18lbs to say 60lbs, granted the knot is bigger but its also stronger.
Sorry! I may be being thick but I don't understand what you are getting at.
Accepting that a knot weakens the line.
If you have 60lbs - knot - 18lbs the 18lbs is going to break near the knot.
If you have 18lbs - knot - 18lbs the 18lbs is going to break near the knot.
Or am I missing something vital?