oil spill at warsash and Hill head

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

SPLASHASH

oil spill at warsash and Hill head

Post by SPLASHASH »

As part of my job I have been involved in an oil spill in the solent today from Fawley. Oil is already on chilling shore and upto Solent breezes and could end up by Hill Head tonight.

Its only a small amount but might have an impact if anyone is out fishing that way in next few days

Don't yet know if its one of BP's pumps........

stingraysteve
Occasional
Occasional

Post by stingraysteve »

surley they must of had some american workers on the jetty ;) ,
I can remember when they put the piles along the shore line at fawley to boom the jetty off so would imagine the spill would have been well maintained

simon2345
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by simon2345 »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hamp ... 366153.stm

Bloody oil companys should be made to pay life time fines to maintain and improve contaminated beaches...

Yakdiver
Regular
Regular

Post by Yakdiver »

Where can I send my compensation claim to.......well lack of fishing :((

browners
Occasional
Occasional

Post by browners »

does that mean that camron and clegg goint to be visiting the beach b4 they summon the oilcompanys to number 10 :D

hooklineandsinker
Occasional
Occasional

Post by hooklineandsinker »

They should deploy some ROV's with a live feed so we can see when the bass are about. :D

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey »

hooklineandsinker wrote:They should deploy some ROV's with a live feed so we can see when the bass are about. :D
sounds a good idea that one :D

MulletFly
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by MulletFly »

Had a run down to the Haven yesterday evening. Booms had been set up in the harbour but the oil had got through to the bridge sluice gates. Not a swan or duck to be seen, rather ominous.
Hope the ebb tide took the slick away.
Heard that the BP chairman was in the area on Sunday. Oil spills seem to follow him around. If anyone should be banned from travelling, its him.

SPLASHASH

Post by SPLASHASH »

your right the BP chap was sailing in the Solent on the weekend. Just like in the gulf the leak is a lot worse than the public have been told. I'm thinking of making a claim for some of that 20 billion as I have been unable to collect any bait. Plus petrol money that it wi cost me to fish further afield than hill head!

conga
Regular
Regular

Post by conga »

SPLASHASH wrote:your right the BP chap was sailing in the Solent on the weekend. Just like in the gulf the leak is a lot worse than the public have been told. I'm thinking of making a claim for some of that 20 billion as I have been unable to collect any bait. Plus petrol money that it wi cost me to fish further afield than hill head!
Just my luck aint it? I was going to have a chuck next weekend as there is a family party on at Hillhead beach so was going to pack some tackle and bait,is it still worth it?Not familiar with area or tactics so any advice from you local guys would be very welcome-Thanks,Mick :D :D

lurcherman
Regular
Regular

hillhead

Post by lurcherman »

hi
walked along there with the dogs this eve,lots of kite surfers and one lonsome angler looked ok if you can get some crab might be worth a bash.
good luck
glyn

cuckoo

Re: hillhead

Post by cuckoo »

lurcherman wrote:hi
walked along there with the dogs this eve,lots of kite surfers and one lonsome angler looked ok if you can get some crab might be worth a bash.
good luck
glyn
Probally be fishing there tommorow night , have 30 fine back lifters to drown , all depends on the weed :(( if its ok ill report tommorow ;)

conga
Regular
Regular

Re: hillhead

Post by conga »

cuckoo wrote:
lurcherman wrote:hi
good luck
glyn
Probally be fishing there tommorow night , have 30 fine back lifters to drown , all depends on the weed :(( if its ok ill report tommorow ;)
Thanks for the info guys, Conga :) :) :)

cuckoo

Post by cuckoo »

Pretty much unfishable at the mo , cleaning the oil from the weed has left mountains of loose weed all over the beach at low water 1 ft deep in places :(( can only guess what it would be like over the flood :-O needless to say we didnt hang around to find out :D :D