Stokes bay/Hill head

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

showman

Stokes bay/Hill head

Post by showman »

Hi guys,

Hope everyone is well

Any news of the smoothies being caught off Stokes Bay/Hill head way? Seen alot of reports to say they are running through Pagham and Hayling but not so many reports from this stretch and looking to take the Mrs out on Saturday!

Any info would be appreciated

Thanks

Dan

beyenyamin

Post by beyenyamin »

Was at salterns road about a week ago (i think thats the area your talking about) we had 5 smoothies in total, biggest being about 12lbs, a schoolie and a small thorny, that was high tide about 1am i think (a week can seem like a long time to me, haha) peeler and rag did most of the damage, squid and lug were coming back untouched on that occasion.

Hope this helps, tight lines

Ben

showman

Post by showman »

Cheers for your reply Ben, and yes not too far off where I was thinking as its almost in the middle of Lee-on-the-Solent and Hillhead! And saying that it's a bonus as it's closer than I was planning to go!

Good news though and might give it a try! Just a quick follow up question but did you experience much weed and was the best feeding period before or after high water?

Cheers

Dan

beyenyamin

Post by beyenyamin »

Near one of the car parks there is a large outflow pipe clearly visible on both google maps and with the eye even at high tide, we fished to the right of that and it protected us from the worst of the tide and weed (in fact there was very little of either, but at low the beach to the left of the pipe was THICK with weed.
The best of the action for the smuts was the two hours after high tide although we were getting some mixed bites (but not hounds i think) either side of it and the thornie was landed just before high.

Good luck, let us know how you get on :)

Ben