Milford shingle 10/4/10

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

bassmanrob
Occasional
Occasional

Milford shingle 10/4/10

Post by bassmanrob »

Hit the shingle bank last night after rays. Had my girlfreind Jules in tow she was happy to spend the evening wrapped up in the beach buddy reading heat magazine with my spare headlight (I know how to show a girl a good time). We arrived to a beautiful calm clear evening, lovely sunset and the smell of BBQ's from a club comp that was setting up.

All was quiet right through sunset and high water, darkness fell and the ebb began, still nothing. Couple of hours passed and I was beginning to think of excuses for another bad session when my fish bait rod showed interest. Few little rattles, then a load of slackline. What ever it was carried on heading to shore and didn't turn until it was about 10 yards out. I then realised it was a half decent fish and it turned out to be a pollock in the 1.5 to 2lb bracket. Should've weighed it really as it is a PB for me but after a couple of photos i put it back as it was lightly hooked to keep jules happy! Fell to double sandeel on a pulley pennel.

As I was rebaiting this rod the other rod (baited with ragworm) showed a cracking bite and carried on nodding. Hit into it and immediately felt a very good fish on, some strong runs and headshaking. Got it within a few yards of the beach and the fighting stopped, it's headshakes had worked and it was off! Felt like a very decent bass but you never know what it was, that's what keeps me coming back! All went quiet for a bit then a similar bite on the fish bait rod resulted in a 14oz pollock. Sizeable and deep hooked this one is now joining some frozen whiting as thai fishcakes for dinner!

An insize pout followed on the rag baited rod then anoter quiet spell. the last bit of action was another deent bite on the fishbait. i said to Jules 'bet this is a dog' and sure enough my first dogfish of the year was soon on the bank, quite a big one too.

No rays but an enjoyable 5 hour session on the bank witha PB and 'a one that got away' thrown in, fish that pull back are finally about and 2010's fishing is underway for me!

simon2345
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by simon2345 »

Nice result..Great Pics,looks like the fishing picking up at last..

woods

Post by woods »

nice session well done. i fished the shingle bank thursday night had a dog and a pout had lots of bites as soon as it got dark. i tried again on friday night but caught nothing only had 2 bites that i missed

struggler

Post by struggler »

fished the shingle bank fri nite
caught pollack about a pound and a half 4 rockling and a couple of undersized pout nothing much was caght prior to darkness lost one decent fish think it may have been a ray nice3 not to have any weed
things are starting to look up
tight lines