Tips for fishing pompey shoreline

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

beyenyamin

Tips for fishing pompey shoreline

Post by beyenyamin »

Hi,

my friend and i have just started fishing again for the first time since school,
and although back then it was a lot of fun we are now inclined to take it a bit more seriously.

We've had a couple of trips but with little success, landing nothing larger than about 1/2 lb so far.

I guess i'm just hoping some of you guys might have some tips about the portsmouth marks producing the most fish atm and which baits with which to target them.

Any info would be great,

Thanks all

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Not my area, but im sure someone can help out. Just to make sure i am moving this post to the South coast forum, as i think thats the coast your seeking info on. Cheers...Mick

jono
Occasional
Occasional

Post by jono »

Welcome, I month or so ago I would have said collect a load of slipper limpet (best place is by the old sewage pipe down eastney) and fish from the submarine blocks. Was catching plenty of bass upto 3lb daily. Now personally I am waiting from this cold weather to pass then next week I will be heading to either eastney or more probably hayling armed with lots of lug work and squid, some already cut for tipping and some whole as a big boy bait and start hunting the cod and whiting.
Hope this helps!

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

A warm welcome to the forums mate.
Cheers keith :D :D

Sotomayor

Post by Sotomayor »

jono wrote:Welcome, I month or so ago I would have said collect a load of slipper limpet (best place is by the old sewage pipe down eastney) and fish from the submarine blocks. Was catching plenty of bass upto 3lb daily. Now personally I am waiting from this cold weather to pass then next week I will be heading to either eastney or more probably hayling armed with lots of lug work and squid, some already cut for tipping and some whole as a big boy bait and start hunting the cod and whiting.
Hope this helps!
This is very useful information for I started to explore the east-off-southampton shore not so long ago and have already visited Hayling Island, South Parade Pier. I would like more but my working pattern and now the weather do not allow me to do it as much as I want to.
And my question now is if this venue is suitable for spinning for I am crazy about spinning, and are there any other spinning venues around this area.

Tanks in advance for any tips.

Sotomayor

beyenyamin

Post by beyenyamin »

Thanks for the welcome guys, and cheers for the tips Jono. Let me know if you have any luck out Hayling way, i'm not really sure where to fish out there but i'll look into it.

Cheers

jono
Occasional
Occasional

Post by jono »

In reply to the spinning question its not something I have tried. I know that you can spin from southsea beech at certain times for markrel and bass but i'd imagine that you would want to go to rockyer places where you get species like pollack and the big ballan wrasse as they are good sport for spining and even fly fishing, maybe the isle of weight or take a trip down to chesil.

And secondly with Hayling most people fish at Inn on teh Beech. Go to the funfair go right at the roundabout and follow it down. Good size fish get caught there all year round. But to get started maybe just try Eastney by the old sewage pipe, at low tide walk to the end and fish straight down on light tackle with Rag for some good ballen wrasse sport! Pollock can be round there and its probably the best spot to catch gar fish from under the pier (later in the year) I dont fish from the pier as nearly always full of chavs diving off it but always had better luck from the pipe. WARNING!!! This is part of the nudest beech so you will see mainly old men walking round naked!