Advice On Catching Flatties, Please.

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

MulletFly
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by MulletFly »

rp and trueblue111, thanks very much for taking the time and trouble to share your knowledge. That was exactly the type of advice I was looking for and I will visit Fareham and try that technique soon as the weather improves.
From what I have read, flat fish should start to appear in numbers around now?
Cheers again.

trublue111

Post by trublue111 »

MulletFly wrote:rp and trueblue111, thanks very much for taking the time and trouble to share your knowledge. That was exactly the type of advice I was looking for and I will visit Fareham and try that technique soon as the weather improves.
From what I have read, flat fish should start to appear in numbers around now?
Cheers again.
I don't think great numbers of flounders visit our waters so much, whether it be because it's a cheap popular crab pot bait and stocks have been decimated or whether it something to do with the warmer winters.. I was always told start going for the flatties up the creeks after the first series of hard frosts, so yes working from that histroically we'd have had the frost by now.. Your challenge will be hard enough mate, I think you put the hours in, go for the so-called best times of the day I reckon you'll whip a few out. another two spots worth some consideration.. Porchester castle and the other being similar to Fareham creek, Haslar creek?? located in Alverstoke, bottom end being the dammed 'Jakie Spencer's' lake next to the Church, I'd give it a look up here sometime and follow the creek up from the road side (go the cemetary side you can only go as far as behind hornet (JSASTC) before getting cut off), I think you could pull a few out of there and you hardly see anyone else fishing there.. one last point becuase im boring myself now would be Hillhead in the little harbour, never caught on the fly here but have had a few flatties while after the sea trout during low water.

hope it give you a few more idea's to toy with chap..

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey »

quiet alot of useable advice there from trueblue col.i cant wait to try and get amongst them flounders .

MulletFly
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by MulletFly »

Thanks again trueblue111. I know all the spots you mention well. Don't worry, I will put the hours in. Same as Mullet fishing, you have to put a lot in before you get anything back plus teaches you patience.
I had the same thought about frost. I reckon when this wind dies down we might get a couple of frosts but the water temp is still high. Only one way to find out. Will keep you posted.
Cheers again.

trublue111

Post by trublue111 »

MulletFly wrote:Thanks again trueblue111. I know all the spots you mention well. Don't worry, I will put the hours in. Same as Mullet fishing, you have to put a lot in before you get anything back plus teaches you patience.
I had the same thought about frost. I reckon when this wind dies down we might get a couple of frosts but the water temp is still high. Only one way to find out. Will keep you posted.
Cheers again.
no worries mate, always happy to help in something different.. its got me thinking i may blow the dust off my fly gear and give them a go myself.. always like a new challenge! as you say mate would appreciate any heads up as to your progress, if for nothing else just to see if its works.. if i get out i'll be sure to do the same..

Good luck!!

Steve.

P.s -Never tried for mullet on the fly but very easy with bait off the top when you have the know how!

MulletFly
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by MulletFly »

At last the forecast is looking better for next week. Winds from the north, should suit flat fish and fly fishing. Will keep you updated.
Col.