Advice On Catching Flatties, Please.

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

MulletFly
Advanced User
Advanced User

Advice On Catching Flatties, Please.

Post by MulletFly »

I have set myself the challenge of catching flatfish on a fly rod this winter and freely admit that I don't have a clue about the habits of these fish.
I would be very grateful if anyone who has knowledge could point me in the right direction.
It would be helpful to know which types of flat fish come close to shore and when and where is the best time to fish for them.
Also, any tips on their feeding habits which could help me choose the best fly.
Tight lines.
Colin

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

L........O............N...........G Shot !!!!!!!!!! good luck

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey »

hi col,i read that small shrimp type flies work well for flounders with a slow retrieve with pauses inbetween of about 5-10seconds.i would have thought the harbours would be the best areas to try .tightlines mick

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Unless im mistaken, flatties are bottom feeders, and can be in as little as 2inch of water. I have even found them on the beach in the sand waiting for the tide to come back in, and ive no idea how they survive. Good luck with the fishing, though i will be very surprised if you catch any with a fly, Cheers...Mick

bugboy
Regular
Regular

Post by bugboy »

stingraysteve
Occasional
Occasional

Post by stingraysteve »

Can be done, there was reports of them being caught the other year on another swff'ers site they were using a home made fly browns a reds in it like an imitation worm, would think you'd need a fast sinking tip to get the fly on the bottom then a slow retrive as you would a spoon, as for locations hythe reclaimed land or the local harbours (portsmouth langstone and chi) all on a rising tide they will come in close and shallow water, I must get the fly rod out and get started on learning to swff, good luck with the flatties

bassfly
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bassfly »

Chumming up the area will bring fish within range.Ive got some fly spoons and some ragworm flies to use.The spoons are tiny,about half the size of a 5p piece.Lets go get em.
Cheers
Simon

MulletFly
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by MulletFly »

Thanks for the advice so far everyone. Keep it coming in. Soon as the weather improves I'll go looking for them. Any good marks near Fareham?
Bassfly, I'm ready when you are and bring all your chums.

Realytangled
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Realytangled »

"WHY" ;) ;) ;)

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey »

heres one chum ready to go col.

MulletFly
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by MulletFly »

Realytangled wrote:"WHY" ;) ;) ;)
Don't worry mate, its got nothing to do with getting really tangled ;;) .

Mick, I'm glad to hear you're not putting your rod away for the winter (no sexual connotation intended RT).
When do you reckon the flatties will arrive in sufficient numbers to make it worth having a go? If you can suggest a mark, I've got the flies that will hopefully do the trick. Tipnor any good?
Cheers
Col.

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey »

hi col,the rod is not getting put away mate.not too sure about tipner now after chating with a few locals .the flounders have been thin on the ground last few years around that area,last two new years hangover comps have not produced any flounders .personally i think most of the marks we try for bass etc may produce but with differant retrives.flounder/flatfish mostly respond by movement.slow retrieve on the seabed kicking up silt etc may work.iam going to start tying shrimp and crab patterns and small clousers.i think between us we may come up with a succesful pattern .tightlines mick.
as to realytangleds ,why,its all done to sport mate.

MulletFly
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by MulletFly »

You could be right Mick. Soon as this weather blows over lets give it a go. Keep in touch.
Col.

rp

Post by rp »

Hi Mulletfly
I meant to post a reply sooner but other things got in the way.....

You could try - a fast sinking line, v short leader (approx 2-3ft) and a clouser type fly - a 1/0 size. then a retrive, pause retrieve the idea being to kick up puffs of silt/sand. Also a booby on a slightly longer leader can work for plaice....

I've not tried the clouser method but i have tried the booby but no success as of yet......

Look forward to hearing how you get on - should this weather ever calm down!!

RP

trublue111

Post by trublue111 »

MulletFly wrote:Thanks for the advice so far everyone. Keep it coming in. Soon as the weather improves I'll go looking for them. Any good marks near Fareham?
Bassfly, I'm ready when you are and bring all your chums.
hello chaps..

slightly different i know but i've seen it done probably 4 years back from an Arundel trout fishery.. as strange as it sounds i kid you not this flounder just shy of 2lbs took a floating nymph, the fishery is the big one, beautiful setting hmm.. chalks springs maybe the name.. don't think its diva anyhoo.. yes! fresh water may make the difference who knows?!

my 2 flatty spots are fareham creek and hardway/Weavel.. anyhow get your waders on and have a look at low tide, for fareham try cams side and park up in car park just past the school (have a look on google maps).. although it maybe crappy i think your chances would be greater if you fish during low water (smaller Volumes of water to cover, etc.) .. chance of bass etc also! got to be a winner.

lets us know how it goes!