Milford shingle 13/10/09

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

bassmanrob
Occasional
Occasional

Milford shingle 13/10/09

Post by bassmanrob »

I'd had an eye on last night's neap for about a week for a session down the shingle bank. I was hoping there would've been a blow in the days running up to it but that wasn't to be. Plan was to head down straight after work and fish the ebb. Target species were big spikies close in as this beach can chuck up some lunkers in the Autumn. I also fished another rod after sole and rays, switching rigs on alternate casts.

There were a few fishing the bank when I arrived at about 1930 so I walked about 400 yards along and set up. First baits went in at about 2000, the ebb had started and it was quite weedy. After about an hour and a half the weed stopped and the bites started. Was getting bites that looked very bream like, the mackerel head and guts was getting hit too. i put it down to bream eating the guts but after a few minutes the rod was still nodding away. Brought it in to find a head and guts thief had managed to find one of the 6/0s, greedy ******!

I was just about to rebait the other rod, fished close in baited with ragworm after sole when I had a decent quick pulldown bite. Back to the beach buddy to sit on my hands for a couple of minutes, it pulled down again. Didn't feel heavy but it woke up when it got close in. It was flat but a flounder not a sole, probably just in size but realesed anyway. They don't seem to be a common fish anymore.

After about an hour of getting bites it went dead towards the end of the ebb and over low. I stuck it out to see if the new flood might produce anything before it got unfishable. I had a worm bait out at distance, couple of taps then the gripper broke out and the line headed downtide......weed assisted dogfish, damn! The weed and tide then made things impossible so time to go. Not the best of sessions in the end.

One thing i like about fishing here though is the 'New Forest safari' on the drive home. Three foxes, three deer and two badgers was last nights count!

maccapfc

Post by maccapfc »

great report ive been wanting to fish there a while will have to give it ago soon

macca

Realytangled
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Realytangled »

Nice report, you made my day as am moving to Hale in November and Milford on my list of beaches to try out >:D<D>:D<

Peter

bassmanrob
Occasional
Occasional

Post by bassmanrob »

I've never heard of Hale so that probably means it's a very nice place!

Pick a small tide when you get down to Milford. Even then you will only be able to fish the ebb on the shingle bank. The tide and weed can make it impossible on the flood. However, you can fish the flood at Hurst castle (the end of the shingle bank) but not the ebb. The castle is a long old walk or there is a ferry from Keyhaven.

Realytangled
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Realytangled »

Thank you bassmanrob Hust castle also on my list as is Avon beach, Hengisdury head and Sand banks.

Hale is a little village above Fordingbridge just inside the New Forest really looking forward to winter and spring fishing that coast >:D<D>:D<.

Peter

lockpicker

Post by lockpicker »

Good report Rob,
Keep em coming.
Pete

cuckoo

Post by cuckoo »

Bad luck on the spikeys mate , but nice mudmuncher :D :D