Hayling 02/08/09

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

bassmanrob
Occasional
Occasional

Hayling 02/08/09

Post by bassmanrob »

Had a quick session in daylight at Sandy Point on Hayling yesterday. I got there and the tide was still running out hard with tons of weed about. Had to wait until it slowed so I could fish over low water. Chucked the good old dexter about on my spinning outfit while I was waiting but no hits on that.

Plan was to target bream on a 3 hook flapper (size 4s) and to carry on spinning with the dexter for any mackie that might be around. Well the bites were soon coming so thick and fast I had to abandon the spinning! Shoals of mackerel did show up too, feeding on the surface, I saw a few feathered out by others. First cast I missed the bite, second I could feel something kicking on the retrieve. Instead of the expected flash of silver in the surf it was red! First fish a new species for me, a bonus red mullet:

Next cast had a little tap, then a massive pull down which stayed over! Grabbed the rod a lifted into a fish, after a decent scrap this was on the beach:

A rogue smoothound of about 4lb. I've got to stop catching these on 3 hook flappers! It took half a ragworm on a size four and came in sideways, tangled up and very angry!

Next cast had a rattle, then another pull down bite. Lifted into it and felt another decent weight on the end. this fight was different, I could feel head shaking going on. Halfway in it was gone though, reckon I lost a half decent bass this time. Some bream session this was turning out to be! The bites continued and the target species were now playing ball. had a few of these:

While all this was going on I had a free airshow too, with a stunt plane diving and looping over Bracklesham Bay opposite. Was a good short daylight session. as soon as the tide turned though the weed started and the bites stopped.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Thanks for the report and the pic, sounds like a good session, shame about the weed.
Cheers keith :D :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Quite amazing to get that smut in daylight Rob although I had a 6 pounder there last year also in daylight. The red mullet are interesting but I can never get one big enough - they are supposed to go up to a couple of pounds or more. Anyway WD on an interesting session which beat my sesh there last week by a mile.
As some of us know, the weed can be chronic there which is why I always pick my time to visit - once the tide current gets going it can drive you nuts (especially falling tides) so I just don't go when there are springs.

Nitefisher
Location: portsmouth, A stones throw to the beach soon to be further away

Post by Nitefisher »

What a fantastic session Bassmanrob well done on the bouns red mullet and smothhound.

Nightfisher

Happy hunting

lockpicker

Post by lockpicker »

Nice post Bassmanrob,well worth the trip down there.
Well done mate.
Pete

macthemullet
Occasional
Occasional

Hayling

Post by macthemullet »

Great post mate... thanks for taking the effort.

Brings back some memories for me !!

Rgds

Mac

mackerelman

Post by mackerelman »

hi im new to the site and i never new you caught red muller down hayling
sandy point

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

It's not just Sandy Point mate, I have had them from various places at this time of year - Eastoke, the Hayling funfair, Eastney and South Parade Pier but you usually need to cast well out to find them which a lot of people I see on Hayling seem unable to do - say a minimum of 80 yds.

sm00thh0und
Occasional
Occasional

Post by sm00thh0und »

nice report brillant pics and welldone on the red mullet cracking fish never caught one myself but still waiting the oppertunity lol how is the rest of the beaches fishing on hayling mate
chris

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

sm00thh0und wrote: how is the rest of the beaches fishing on hayling mate
chris
Same as usual - not much during the day but pretty busy after dark. Did yesterday afternoon with a new guy at Eastoke - zilch, not even a mackerel shoal which surprised me.