Back of Sea Life Center Southsea Beach

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

Pinky

Back of Sea Life Center Southsea Beach

Post by Pinky »

Fished the back of the sea life center (can't call it anything else) Saturday night... was billed as an old SSAC Juniors meet... although i was let down by a number of people who didn't show... In the end just me, Dan & John (our old Mentor lol)

Started out around 7.30 pm first cast Dan got a small wrasse, I then caught a black bream probably about half a pound... then we set out on the Mackerel... They were just too far away and we only managed a couple between us... It was just getting dar so we put the crab baits out looking for some smoothies.... John ribbed me as he had plenty of peelers and softies yet i was going with my favourite 2 small hard backs on 2 hook... yes i prevailed with 2 smoothies... first 1 before it was dark about the 3lb mark... then it all went quiet... Dan and John had a couple of pout to worm baits then around 1am my rod goes again... yes the double hard backs were at it again this time producing a smotthie around the 4.5lb mark... first time i've had decent smoothies from this mark fo i was more than happy

Hard Back 1 vs 0 Peelers

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater
www.sea-fishing.org creater

re:

Post by mrix »

Thanks for the detailed report. Interesting on the catch with the hardback.
Dont get many reports when hardbacks are used which actually managed to catch something.
cheers
mrix

Pinky

Post by Pinky »

It's pretty much all i use for smoothies at the mo... 20 mins down the harbour getting 20 hard backs or all the time hunting out peelers and softies.... or even buying them erm no lol much rather stick with the hard backs as i'm still catching on them... sometimes more than people with peelers around em as well

uwishjellyfish

Post by uwishjellyfish »

Ay pinky, how do you put hardbacks on the hook?
Do you pull all the legs of all just put on whole?
Do you use elastic to keep on the hook as you would with peeler?

Pinky

Post by Pinky »

All i do is take off the back legs and put the hook through the leg sockets.... as long as your careful u won't need elastic and if u use 3/0's you can fit 2 on... the crabs then move around and they look like they are fighting on the sea bed which helps to attract the smuts

tomtom6

hard backs

Post by tomtom6 »

what rig u on for these mate ? i may give em a go millions of the little blighters in my area :D

Pinky

Post by Pinky »

Just a simple pulley rig with a 3/0 hook.... nice and simple

illustriousgreen

Promising

Post by illustriousgreen »

Sounds promising, Never cawt a smut yet. Will be giving i a bash myself when i get a chance.

Many other good marks around the pompey/hayling area for them?

lockpicker

Post by lockpicker »

Im with you Pinky on the hardback crab,highly under rated,great for smoothies.
Pete.