Occasional
Occasional

You could have made LOADS of

Post by hooklineandsinker »

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

10/10 for effort mate, I tried a few times a while back but in the end they drove me totally nuts and I gave up. There's a bloke in Portsmouth who gets them all the time, ought to meet up with him sometime I suppose cos there's always plenty knocking around in Langstone Harbour.

jacko69
Tackle Forums Mod
Tackle Forums Mod

Post by jacko69 »

mullet fishing is good fun but as you have found out they are hard to catch you need to be very quite and still for a long time but its all part of the fun and its good to catch them they give a good fight but are spooked very easily

Dave :D

hooklineandsinker
Occasional
Occasional

jacko69 wrote:mullet fishing is good fun but as you have found out they are hard to catch you need to be very quite and still for a long time but its all part of the fun and its good to catch them they give a good fight but are spooked very easily

Dave :D
Well I made it much harder for myself on the first day, not sure where to start.
I put a small hook on the end of my 20lb braided line and managed to cast it 2 feet :((

Looking around I noticed other people were using floats, I have never used a float before although I did have 2 skinny one's in my tackle bag.
Used bait elastic to attach a float and casted it out, went a whole 4 foot!! (Doh!) The float was laying on it's side instead of standing upright.

Attached the smallest ball weight I had with me and cast again, MUCH better, 30 foot :)
Had the pleasure of watching the float sink cos it's was too wimpy, I didn't want to look too lame in front of other that were fishing so I slowly reeled in the line to help the float to the surface (It almost looked like I knew what I was doing)

Using some more bait elastic I tied another float to the other one, okay now this was looking a real mess, 2 floats tide together, bait elastic ends dangling off my line.

I casted out once more and perfection was achieved :D the floats floated (Woohoo!) shame the bread fell off the hooks. :((
A very important lesson was learnt, NEVER let your bread dry out as it's impossible to keep it on the hook. (my bread had been in the car for 3 days)
I found that dribbling and spitting on the bread helps to bind it together :-B

Once I did manage to cast and keep my bread on the hook the mullet showed much interest, guess they were having a good laugh at my rig.

giving loads of money to the local tackle shop has now solved all my problems, new spinning rod, proper floats and a bucket load of hints/tips

Pete.

tomtom6

mullet

Post by tomtom6 »

sorry mate think i cocked up with reply :-O maybe sent as p.m check your inbox hope it helps. Tom

illustriousgreen

Mullet madness

Post by illustriousgreen »

Hevent een tried to catch mullet before but i remember when i was about 9 or 10 my brother got a mullet on bacon in port solent fishing of the back of my grandmothers yacht, must have bin about 6 or 7 lb, First time i ever went fishing. 12 years on and ive never seen another one caught and fishing is now band in port solent marina so wont be bugging my grandma to let me fish there now.

wijonty

mullet

Post by wijonty »

i catch mullet often on small sabaska shrimp lures iv had some cracking fish with thi s metherd just a small lead on to hold the trace down mainly white ones are best jonty

PompeyLocal

Post by PompeyLocal »

As Eccles said - there's a chap over here (Pompey) that is in the Mullet club and catches them all the time by all accounts. I met him at the nudey beach (fully clothed) at Eastney last week; it was a bit rough for mullet but ok for me to try and hook a Bream or two (which I did)..

He said he used a swim feeder with bread off of Clarence wall with lots of success and also kept an eye out for mackeral shoals in the evening as thin lipped mullet follow them in.. Incidentally, he also mentioned he had a place in St Tropez where he also went fishing for the mullet.. I think he was just showing off :)

I've been tempted to have a go at them myself in Langstone (400m from my house); as Eccles mentioned it's full of 'em. In warm weather like we've had recently they follow the flood tide over the mud flats and are easily seen - easily caught is another matter.......

hooklineandsinker
Occasional
Occasional

kojak

Post by kojak »

a good way to catch them which doesnt fail very often is to put the bread on a very small trebble hook