8lb10oz bass

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

fishtitus
Occasional
Occasional

8lb10oz bass

Post by fishtitus »

Caught it this mornings low tide on my kayak in chi harbour run.Used a two hook flapper baited with rag and a dexter wedge as the weight.Was doing a very slow drift and catching loads of weed,so i had to hover the rig just off bottom.All of a sudden my rod bent in half and line started peeling,it was hard to tell what fish it was at first because it was deep.After a couple of runs it tired and came to the surface,(wtf!)i couldnt believe it.It then saw my ugly mug and decided to dive again.It had taken the motionless dexter wedge to my suprise which i had fixed loosely to a lead swivel link,so was lucky to not have come off.I beached onto a bank and took a few pics and realised i hadnt any scales with me so unfortunately i had to keep him to find out his weight.I managed to capzize 10 mins later and lost a rod and a few other bits,plus my phone had got wet.Luckily the fish was stowed away,and i decided to take it to mannings tackle shop to get him weighed.I got my bro to take some pics for me when i got home coz my phone was wrecked.I will post them on here as soon as he has uploaded them.cheers lewis

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

jacko69
Tackle Forums Mod
Tackle Forums Mod

Post by jacko69 »

congrats on the fish m8 sorry to hear you lost some gear when you capsized but its all part of kayak fishing im afraid

Dave :D

bassfly
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by bassfly »

Well done on the catch Lewis but where was my invite.
Next time you go out tie everything down,lash the butt of your rod to kayak.
This is the voice of experience as i lost a load of stuff when i first started out.
Cheers
Simon

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Well done on the catch mate
Cheers
keith :D :D

lewypalmer

Post by lewypalmer »

nice fish.

i think ive see water proof bags some where for phones and wallets etc, you may be able to strap them to ya kayak or may even be able to get ones that float (and chase after once uve righted) have a look around they may be useful!

4CodsSake
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by 4CodsSake »

Well done, nice fish :)

Craig

trublue111

Post by trublue111 »

To knock the fish on its head JUST to get a weight seems a little wrong to me and perhaps Karmic payback was had loosing your kit and wrecking your phone, nice fish and great report up to that buddy.

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

Isn`t chi harbour a bass nursery and boat fishing for bass illegal this time of year ?

Ps cracking fish well done. :D

riki_79

Post by riki_79 »

Well done on the fish and definately good compensation for the rod, but I didnt think you were allowed boat fish for bass ether.

fishtitus
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fishtitus »

1.i was in a kayak not a boat.2.i was in the the entrance not the harbour.3.i never waste fish that i take,this one will be taxidermis.4.no different from taking an 8lb or a 4lb they both reproduce and grow,i never take undersize fish.5.thanks for the NICE comments.might thing twice now about posting reports on here.lewis

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi FT, I dont think the remarks about boat fishing were meant to be nasty, I think they were just trying to bring it to your attention in case you didnt know about it, As you say you were in a Kayak, now i dont know much about boats and rules for fishing, but I would imagine they would class any waterborne vessel as a boat when its used for fishing. If they dont they have left a hell of a loophole in the law, 4 men fishing in a dingy could also say its not a boat. As fines for fishing violations are very extreme, it might be worth checking it out to be sure, I know i would before risk a fine. Cheers...Mick

thunderchild

Post by thunderchild »

Hi FT nice catch, but looking at my tide time table book the bass nursery area is a line drawn between eaststoke point and the chichester bar beacon,i think there fore the guys are right,the bass nursery extends just beyond the harbour entrance and you were inside that area.sorry but you where fishing illegally

mrix
www.sea-fishing.org creater
www.sea-fishing.org creater

re:

Post by mrix »

Nobody being aggressive and fair points made.
Maybe a mistake made here thats all.
Cheers
mrix

RYEBOY

Post by RYEBOY »

Excellent,well done,another good kayaking trip i've heard about,seems like the way to go.
Well done again........

fishtitus
Occasional
Occasional

Post by fishtitus »

fishing for any sea fish in a nursery area in any vessel using sandeel is illegal,but what i did was not.i like to see myself as a decent human being and respect the fish that swim in our waters.i dont go out in the middle of the night and net loads of juvenile bass which some people do.i fish for pleasure and take the occasional fish home for tea.i think there are alot of people who would agree.cheers lewis :) ps pics to follow