The mackerel are making there way up the river Itchen

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

hooklineandsinker
Occasional
Occasional

The mackerel are making there way up the river Itchen

Post by hooklineandsinker »

Decided to take my boat out today with one of my mates.
Started off from Northam Bridge at walking pace pulling a mepps spinner behind me, not a nibble !!
My mate decided to use feathers, I told him the mackerel won't be this far up the river, seemed I was wrong :-O
He pulled out a large mackerel, I could see it was being followed by a dozen small bass.

He dropped his line over the side again, this time he caught 3 bass on the feathers :-O , he put them back in the river and continued to fish, another large mackerel, within seconds he pulls another one up.

Meanwhile I'm still using my mepps spinner and getting nothing, not even the bass it was designed to catch X(
After 5 minutes of getting zero bites and watching my mate pulling bass up I decided to switch to the feathers as well, no mackerel for me though, they seemed to have moved on, I was getting plenty of small bass but that dried up after 15 mins.

Plenty of White Bait could be seen :D , hopefully the bigger bass will start coming in.

Overall it was a great day, and the weather forcasters got it wrong again, plenty of non stop sunshine :D

Pete.

MulletFly
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by MulletFly »

Sounds like you had a good day Pete. Why don't you go the whole hog and become a fly fisher now you've seen what a few feathers can do >:)

hooklineandsinker
Occasional
Occasional

crapcaster wrote:Sounds like you had a good day Pete. Why don't you go the whole hog and become a fly fisher now you've seen what a few feathers can do >:)
Might as well.
I have been plugging for bass for weeks now and got nowhere :((

Pete.

P.S. Henry Gilbey ... Your mother was a Wrasse!

minimech
Regular
Regular

Post by minimech »

'Ere 'Ang on, are you the same pete that a week or two ago couldn't catch ought from a boat and here you are haulin' schoollies!!!
There's hope for you yet young man!!!
Pete. :D :D >:D< >:D<

hooklineandsinker
Occasional
Occasional

minimech wrote:'Ere 'Ang on, are you the same pete that a week or two ago couldn't catch ought from a boat and here you are haulin' schoollies!!!
There's hope for you yet young man!!!
Pete. :D :D >:D< >:D<
Yeah, I still hate boats ;)

Pete.