what a day

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

kojak

what a day

Post by kojak »

took the boat out today both engines packed up didnt get any fishing done and had to be towed back in by the lifeboat

what would we do without them

jacko69
Tackle Forums Mod
Tackle Forums Mod

Post by jacko69 »

hi kojak that is the worst possible thing that could happen i bet that put a dampener on your day god bless the RNLI

Dave :D

nthendpompey
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nthendpompey »

maybe a driving licence of sorts with all monies going to life boats :)

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

I myself am a boat owner and have an 18 gal inboard fuel tank. The boat had been stood for a while and while tidying up the garden my strimmer ran out of fuel.

Great I thought Ill use some out of the boat. The strimmer started but refused to run. Im glad I discovered this now and not later. X(

I have pumped out 33 liters so far and there is a lot more to get rid of. God knows what would have happened if I had gone to sea with the fuel that was in the tank. X( X( X(

It pays to run your engines before you launch for at least 15 min.

Cheers
keith :D

TTTturbot

Post by TTTturbot »

my mate found out the hard way too last year.He bought a boat and the first time we went out in it,we were getting nowhere slowly.I mentioned to him had he changed the fuel in the tank as it does go off after a while!!!
No came his reply
luckily we were only putt-putting around christchurch harbour very slowly but luckily managed to make it back in,slowly #:-S

hooklineandsinker
Occasional
Occasional

Post by hooklineandsinker »

I use a product called Sta-Bil, it prevents fuel from going stale.
It keeps fuel fresh for up to 12 months or more, works out a lot cheaper than throwing away stale fuel.
http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx
My local car accessory sells it (about a fiver a bottle)

Pete.

clarem

Post by clarem »

omg, thats just plain unlucky mate, gutted for you :((

clare

tokai

Post by tokai »

rabbi2 wrote:It pays to run your engines before you launch for at least 15 min.
Hi, Keith -

I thought that Sea Angler magazine recently said that you shouldn't run your engines out of the water because it does something nasty to something (spot the ignoramus being vague!). The impeller?

Cheers,

Tokai

hooklineandsinker
Occasional
Occasional

Post by hooklineandsinker »

tokai wrote: I thought that Sea Angler magazine recently said that you shouldn't run your engines out of the water because it does something nasty to something (spot the ignoramus being vague!). The impeller?

Cheers,

Tokai
This is indeed true, I wrecked a good engine when I was a teenager and didn't know better.
You can use 'Muffs', they look like head phones, place them over the lower vents, connect to a hose and you can run the engine without damaging it, also great for washing the salt water out of the system.
as seen here -> http://www.safety-marine.co.uk/Outboard ... cturer.htm

Pete.